How To Do a Factory Reset on Telo

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

How To Do a Factory Reset on Telo

Postby Trekster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 am

Would anyone happen to know how exactly to accomplish a Factory Reset procedure on the new Telo?

I have tried repeatedly to do what I thought was the correct procedure, but it has always failed in a "lights all dark" condition.

Here is what I have tried and the results I get:

1. Power off the Telo unit, wait around 15 seconds, then power it back on,

2. When the logo starts flashing RED, press and hold 'Stop' and 'Trash' keys at the same time,

3. The logo should then flash alternatively BLUE and RED,

4. Release the 'Stop' and 'Trash' keys when the logo turns solid BLUE (not RED as it used to be), then it takes around 30 more seconds before it goes to step 5 (the play button light goes amber, the logo light goes off, ...) - be patient - DO NOT unplug the power otherwise the factory reset is not effective !!

5. The unit is factory reset and restarts by itself -- this is shown by the fact that line 1 and line 2 buttons turn blue, then next row (trash and envelope buttons) turns blue, then runway lighting on bottom row ....."

During step 4, the solid BLUE logo light goes out after a few seconds, and from that point on... lasting 10 or more minutes ALL the LIGHTS are OUT, and never come back on.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.
New Ooma Telo user - hoping for the best, since I've already tried two of the worst... MJ and TK6000
Trekster

Re: How To Do a Factory Reset on Telo

Postby murphy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 am

Do the lights come on if you push the center button in the top row?
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby Trekster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 am

murphy wrote:Do the lights come on if you push the center button in the top row?

Well, the lights were all on before I unplugged it and tried to do the reset, and I generally keep them at the second brightness setting. That is not the dimmest, but the setting just above.

I have not tried to press the "light" setting button, but I can certainly try that. Perhaps the Factory Reset causes the brightness setting to go to OFF, I don't know.

Thanks, I'll try that and report back.
New Ooma Telo user - hoping for the best, since I've already tried two of the worst... MJ and TK6000
Trekster

Postby Trekster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 am

After all the lights went out, as explained above in Step 4, I did press the Brightness button, and the center Logo light came on a solid Blue. I waited and waited... about 15 to 20 minutes, and nothing else happened. No other lights came on indicating the unit was finished with the Reset and now operational.

Finally, I powered it down, and then turned it on again, without going through the Factory Reset, and it seemed to come up and work again.

I don't understand why it never finishes the Reset procedure and all the lights come on as they should.
Trekster

Postby hurl03 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Trekster wrote:After all the lights went out, as explained above in Step 4, I did press the Brightness button, and the center Logo light came on a solid Blue. I waited and waited... about 15 to 20 minutes, and nothing else happened. No other lights came on indicating the unit was finished with the Reset and now operational.

Finally, I powered it down, and then turned it on again, without going through the Factory Reset, and it seemed to come up and work again.

I don't understand why it never finishes the Reset procedure and all the lights come on as they should.

Welcome to the club... I had the same problem, couldn't reset in order to replace the handsets i had returned with the new ones. Was told by tech support there was nothing else they could do. finally spoke with a support person in Palo Alto, telo is being replaced.
hurl03

Postby Trekster » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:52 am

hurl03 wrote:
Trekster wrote:After all the lights went out, as explained above in Step 4, I did press the Brightness button, and the center Logo light came on a solid Blue. I waited and waited... about 15 to 20 minutes, and nothing else happened. No other lights came on indicating the unit was finished with the Reset and now operational.

Welcome to the club... I had the same problem, couldn't reset in order to replace the handsets i had returned with the new ones. Was told by tech support there was nothing else they could do. finally spoke with a support person in Palo Alto, telo is being replaced.

Which Telo is being replaced? The handset or the base unit?
Trekster

Postby Trekster » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 am

If Tech Support is reading this thread, they seem to be ignoring the problem. That makes me very suspicious. Wonder what the real problem is.... Something to do with the Reset procedure, or something to do with a great many Telo units already out in the hands of users???? :?

I can almost smell a situation similar to the recent Toyota recall, where at first they didn't want to own up to the problem. Hope I'm wrong.... but who knows. :(
Trekster

Postby Trekster » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 pm

My suspicions were correct. I was doing the procedure for the Factory Reset correctly, however, there is apparently a bug associated with this procedure. Finally, this morning I got the following email from an "Ooma source":

The factory reset instructions you have are correct. Currently there is
a bug filed on this. If you perform a factory reset, only the Ooma logo
is lit. If you power cycle which you have done, it is fine.

Now all we have to do is wait for the "bug" to be resolved. :)
Trekster

Postby chiguypaul » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

I had the same issue with the blue light staying on during a factory reset today. Phone support didn't know anything about bugs related to that process.
chiguypaul

Return to Other Support Topics