Ooma IP address questions

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Ooma IP address questions

Postby scarson6 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:14 pm

I have a static IP from my ISP that shows up when I check to see if Port Forwarding is working correctly. (It isn't).

My setup is Bridged DSL modem> PPPoE Ooma> DCHP router> computer with static IP

1. Is the external IP address of the Ooma the one listed as the Home address in setup.ooma.com? If not, how do I find that address?

2. With my modem in bridge mode, so should the external address of my Ooma = that static IP that shows up (because theoretically my modem is effectively DMZ'd)?

3. If so, is there a setting beyond bridge mode (IP passthrough perhaps) that raises my chance of successful port forwarding?

4. If not, do I need to do anything else to my modem to encourage the likelyhood of port forwarding?

Thanks!
scarson6

Re: Ooma IP address questions

Postby av8rdude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:54 am

scarson6 wrote:I have a static IP from my ISP that shows up when I check to see if Port Forwarding is working correctly. (It isn't).

My setup is Bridged DSL modem> PPPoE Ooma> DCHP router> computer with static IP

1. Is the external IP address of the Ooma the one listed as the Home address in setup.ooma.com? If not, how do I find that address?

2. With my modem in bridge mode, so should the external address of my Ooma = that static IP that shows up (because theoretically my modem is effectively DMZ'd)?

3. If so, is there a setting beyond bridge mode (IP passthrough perhaps) that raises my chance of successful port forwarding?

4. If not, do I need to do anything else to my modem to encourage the likelyhood of port forwarding?

Thanks!

1. The external address of the ooma is shown on the Status page as the "Modem" IP. So if your DSL modem is in bridge mode that should be the static IP you are paying for.
2. You are not DMZed because you are looking at the wrong IP....

So you need to understand that the ooma will have the static IP from your service provider. It then assigns an IP to your router with DHCP and the default is listed on the advanced tab as the Start address for DHCP: 172.27.35.62
You router would then show that it's IP address is 172.27.35.62

With this setup if you want to basically bridge your ooma so that all port forwards will be sent to the router....all you have to do is DMZ the router's IP address on the ooma advanced settings.

Here is what I do....I set the starting address of the DHCP and the end address both to 172.27.35.62. This only allows the ooma to give out this single IP address and it will always be the same for the router. Then put 172.27.35.62 in the DMZ IP address.

Now anything will pass straight through the ooma and be handled by your router. All your previous port forwards should work with the router controlling them.

Cheers,
Scott
av8rdude

Postby scarson6 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 am

Thanks Scott, I really appreciate your time.

My port still isn't forwarding yet, so I'll give you some more info to see if you can spot any trouble areas. (I do have my Ooma DMZ'd to my router the way you have described it.)

On the Ports page, the HOME addresses are inet addr:172.27.35.1, Bcast:172.27.35.255.
The MODEM is listed as PPP and its addresses are inet addr:(my static IP), P-t-P:70.159.160.9

On the Status page, the Modem address is 0.0.0.0, and the Home address is 172.27.35.1

Any red flags?

Thanks,
Stacy
scarson6

Postby av8rdude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 am

AHA...
Do you have both your ooma and router setup to logon with PPoE?

You only need one of the three devices logging-on to your account with PPoE. So either the modem, ooma, or router should be set up with PPoE and your account information. The other two should be set up as automatic or bridge mode.

I would suggest bridging the DSL modem. Setting up ooma with PPoE log-on. And then automatic or dynamic IP address for your router.

Then go back and make sure you have all the ooma settings like I described earlier.

Realize that your DSL modem is actually a router, also. It has DHCP, firewall, port forwarding, etc built into it. But if you put it in bridge mode I believe none of those will matter. PPoE and DSL are actually similar to dial-up. One of the devices has to "log-on" to establish your connection.

I hope this helps...
Scott
av8rdude

Postby av8rdude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 am

What I really need to see to figure out your problem is a snapshot of your ooma.setup Advanced Tab and the Status Tab. Can you take a snapshot or use the windows snipping tool to do a screen capture. Then attach the files to your post.
I have attached copies of mine as reference.
Cheers,
Scott
Attachments
statustab.JPG
statustab.JPG (14.16 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
advancedtab.JPG
advancedtab.JPG (23.16 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
av8rdude

Postby scarson6 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:57 am

First, I do have it set up as you have described - bridged modem, PPPoE Ooma, DHCP router.

Second, here are the settings. Notice the unpleasant looking 0.0.0.0. It seems as though the DSL modem may be doing something funny.
Attachments
Status settings.jpg
Status settings.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 7809 times
advanced settings.jpg
advanced settings.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 7809 times
scarson6

Postby av8rdude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am

Maybe it shows 0.0.0.0 because the modem is bridged. Until a device logs-on there is no IP address established.

You could try setting up your modem to log-on and set ooma to automatic. You will have to get into the modem setup and make sure it only passes one IP address to ooma and then DMZ that address inside the modem.

So effectively the modem would log-on, DMZ ooma, and ooma would DMZ the router.

Or maybe there is a selection in your modem setup to disable the firewall or nat?

This is the reason I prefer cable over dsl. DSL modems introduce a whole layer of network problems :)

Goodluck,
Scott
av8rdude

Postby jwrandall » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am

I'm waiting for an answer on this too. My connection says the same as scarson6 except for the Home IP address. My setup is identical also.

Woops, you posted before I did. Sorry.
I have a fever...and the only prescription is...more cowbell.
jwrandall

Postby scarson6 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks Scott,

I'll try a few different things with the modem settings.

jwrandall - if you try first and anything works let me know. I work from home, so I don't really have the time until tomorrow morning to do the experimentation. But I'll be sure to update this thread if/when I get something that works.
scarson6

Postby scarson6 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 am

HALLE-FREAKIN'-LLUJAH! Sorry, lost my cool there for a second.

I finally got it working! (Been dealing with this issue for nearly a year.)

DSL Modem (Westell 6100) in IP passthrough, but NOT bridged. (I had also forwarded the port, but I think that's moot. Perhaps not though.)
Reboot Ooma (power down, wait 10 sec., power up)
Check Ooma Status to make sure that its MODEM address = my static IP assigned by my ISP. Ooma's config is Automatic.
In Ooma, assign DHCP and DMZ info for my router as described earlier in this thread. (Again, I have the port forwarded in Ooma, but believe it to be moot.)
In Linksys router with DHCP config, I setup both Port Forwarding and Port Range Triggering to the IP address I have designated as a static IP in my computer. (Here's how to setup a static IP on your computer for anyone who needs to do that: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm )

And voila. Good luck to everyone else dealing with this!
scarson6

Next

Return to Other Support Topics