Forced upgrade, Hub subscribers terminated, is Telo next?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Forced upgrade, Hub subscribers terminated, is Telo next?

Postby flew-d-coop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

So, who else has received the following email basically stating thank for being a long time customer but it is time for you to buy new hardware as we are going to deactivate service on your fully functional hub.

I wonder when they will turn it off?

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:00 AM, Ooma <marketing12@ooma.com> wrote:
Dear Customer,
We’d like to thank you for helping us test our first product and hope that you have enjoyed the free product and service that you have received for the last six years. Since October 2009, the Ooma Telo has been our flagship product. Recently we announced that no further updates will be made to the Hub and, consequently, we will be ending the “White Rabbit” VIP program on the Hub device starting February 2014.
To continue service, we’d like to offer you a great deal on upgrading to the Ooma Telo. The Telo is higher-performance and offers more advanced functionality. It normally retails for $149.99, but with this special offer, you can upgrade to the Telo for just $49.99. If you need to replace an Ooma Scout device in your home you can add our wireless Ooma Linx remote phone jack device for just $30 more.
When you upgrade to the Telo you will transition to our latest terms and conditions, which will require you to pay the applicable taxes and fees in your area. In return, you will receive our lowest price ever on an Ooma Telo. And as a special benefit to you, our most long-standing customers, we will continue to provide you Premier service for free on your new Telo (a $9.99 a month value). Here are just some of the other benefits that come from upgrading:
• Improved call reliability with Ooma PureVoice™ technology
• Hear the difference of HD Voice when you talk to other Ooma Telo and Ooma Mobile users
• Take advantage of Telo-only features like personal caller-ID with Contact Lists
In addition, the Ooma Telo supports a wide-range of accessories to further extend its capabilities:
• Place your Telo anywhere in your home with the Wireless Adapter
• Pair your cell phone to your home phone with the Bluetooth Adapter
• Enjoy smartphone features on your home phone with the optional HD2 Handset
• Connect additional phones and fax machines quickly and easily with the wireless Linx device
Please be aware that service will end on your Ooma Hub. Take advantage of this limited time offer now to upgrade and enjoy the newest technology by calling us at 1-866-452-6662 with the offer code VIP-UPGRADE. This offer has been extended and expires on March 31, 2014.
Our records indicate that you were given this device free of charge [not true]. If for any reason this is incorrect, please call and let us know. We would be happy to review your account individually.
Until next time,
Team Ooma

And now I wait for some technician to send me an update to brick my hub/scout. :(

EDIT:
Another day passes as the March 31 termination looms nearer but still no response from an ooma employee about this thread. Specifically,
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17198&start=10#p118121
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17198&start=20#p118215
Last edited by flew-d-coop on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flew-d-coop

Re: forced update to Telco - Hub subscribers not wanted

Postby lbmofo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Sounds like this is for those that never paid for the hardware? If not true, call and correct.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby Oomagumma » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I received that email and called to let them know that all of the Ooma Core packages I have activated for either myself or my family were purchased at retail. The oldest unit I have activated only goes back to 2010 so I don't know why they think I've been a customer for six years, much less a "white rabbit" test customer. I don't really know why this should make a difference to them at this point unless they plan to consider the "white rabbit" hub units as special case test units, with the expectation of either actually closing their accounts or merely implying that they are doing so. The mere implication will likely convert some non-fee-paying customers to fee-paying customers when they "upgrade" to a Telo. I also hope that it is not Ooma's intent to eventually suggest that it was only the "white rabbit" test units which were intended to be fee-free/tax-free. Their longer-term intentions aside, this email could rather easily be considered misleading or deceptive.
Oomagumma

Postby flew-d-coop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Oomagumma,
You and I are in the same sinking boat! What did they say when you spoke to them? Did they give any indication that these units will work post March 31?

I need to call them but first I was hoping that someone up there in the ooma hierarchy would just be straight with us and comment on this thread. Simply state the date they intend to shut us down and the justification for such action. That way all ooma customers (Telo specifically) can see direction this company is going.

Maybe if this post generates some steam we may elicit a response.
flew-d-coop

Postby lornarunner » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:20 am

I have had my Ooma Core for more than 5 years. I just chatted with an Ooma representative online. She told that ALL Core customers were having their service deactivated this month. We will all be responsible for the monthly fees and taxes. I don't know if the Hub device will function at all, but it's the monthly expenses I'm concerned about. Time to look elsewhere. Google Voice holds some promise, maybe.
lornarunner

Postby lbmofo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 am

To me, this email is intended for people that were in the "white rabbit VIP" program. Not sure what this program was about but seems the hardware was given out for free. If u received the email in error, you call in to request correction in Ooma records. Don't think this email is for all Core customers.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby flew-d-coop » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 am

lmmofo,
Please re-read the comment by Oomagumma and lornarunner.

Oomagumma wrote the following statement.

I received that email and called to let them know that all of the Ooma Core packages I have activated for either myself or my family were purchased at retail. The oldest unit I have activated only goes back to 2010 so I don't know why they think I've been a customer for six years, much less a "white rabbit" test customer.

lornarunner wrote the following statement.

I have had my Ooma Core for more than 5 years. I just chatted with an Ooma representative online. She told that ALL Core customers were having their service deactivated this month. We will all be responsible for the monthly fees and taxes. I don't know if the Hub device will function at all, but it's the monthly expenses I'm concerned about. Time to look elsewhere. Google Voice holds some promise, maybe.

Why would I be treated differently (or any CORE customer for that matter)?
Last edited by flew-d-coop on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
flew-d-coop

Postby flew-d-coop » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:45 am

Time for a different approach... take it to the masses...

The following is the first of many letters to the editor I intend to write

Dear WIRED,
Base on review from sites such as yours (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/07/ooma-400-box-wi/) I have owned and loved my core Hub/Scout for many years but now I am being forced to purchase new hardware while my current hardware is fully functional. I would like to request WIRED consider writing a follow up article on what I believe to be deceptive/unethical business practices by contacting ooma for comment. Here is a thread on ooma’s forum that I started: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17198 . Attached you will find the email I received from ooma informing me of their intent to shut down my service.

Sincerely

Let your voice be heard "letters+wiredblogs@gmail.com"
flew-d-coop

Postby lornarunner » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 am

I just confirmed with "Berns", an online rep with Ooma, that this does indeed include ALL Core customers. Here is a clip from my chat:

Berns: Oh I see, yes upon checking this email is true. you would need to upgrade to Ooma telo
You: Will my current Ooma Hub function AT ALL after March 31st?
Berns: it will be suspended and eventually will be cancelled
You: And this applies to ALL Core customers, not just those enrolled in the "White Rabbit" program, whatever that is?
Berns: Yes it is all for the core customers

Dirty buggers! When I bought the thing they told me I would have FREE service for the life of the hardware. Seems dishonest and probably illegal. I will no longer be an Ooma customer and I question the future of this company.
lornarunner

Postby Oomagumma » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am

I'm really hoping there are some misinformed customer service reps. The one I spoke to on the phone said I was fine and that the email was marketing related.
Oomagumma

Next

Return to Other Support Topics