Kind of puzzling because Ooma wouldn't use much bandwidth so why it would degrade computer app VoIP traffic that much....
Take a look at this if haven't already; some stuff to check out your internet overall. viewtopic.php?t=10023
I tested my connection and went through all the recommended settings, and the test results were fine, but I still had problems making calls. After a lot of messing with various configuration, the problem seems to be my modem/router device (Motorola SBG6580). I put it into bridge mode to completely disable the wireless and routing functions, and connected my buffalo router with dd-wrt for wireless. I've been using that setup for a few days, and everything seems to be fine now. Maybe I had something configured incorrectly on my modem, but I reviewed various recommended settings for the device and didn't find any setting that helped. The phone power speed test (http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest
) always came back with really good results, but when I tried to make a google voice call the quality was bad with the ooma disconnected, and even worse when ooma was being used at the same time.
So I'm guessing the root problem is poor routing firmware on the SBG6580. I'll probably try to play around with the settings again at some point in the future but for now just using it as a basic cable modem with the routing disabled seems to be working fine.