Red flashing light

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Red flashing light

Postby stuartcnz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Every thing was working fine. We were able to call and receive calls.

Then we could receive calls, but not make calls.

Then I powered down, waited for more than 15 minutes, and Ooma now has the big red flashing light. I've tried this several times now and no change.

Before I powered down the first time I was able to ascertain that I have the latest firmware update.

When I power up the red light flashes at a normal speed, then speeds up to a quick flash.
stuartcnz

Re: Red flashing light

Postby thunderbird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 pm

stuartcnz wrote:Every thing was working fine. We were able to call and receive calls.

Then we could receive calls, but not make calls.

Then I powered down, waited for more than 15 minutes, and Ooma now has the big red flashing light. I've tried this several times now and no change.

Before I powered down the first time I was able to ascertain that I have the latest firmware update.

When I power up the red light flashes at a normal speed, then speeds up to a quick flash.

Try temporarily connecting your Ooma Setup Modem-Router-Ooma.

Before connecting remove power from your Modem, Router and Ooma Telo.

After connecting Modem port to Router WAN port, then connecting a router LAN port to the Ooma Telo Internet port with network cables, repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.
thunderbird

Postby stuartcnz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I've tried every alternative way of connecting that I could think of, but no difference, so returned it to the way that it used to work.

ps it's an Ooma telo, if that makes any difference.
stuartcnz

Postby stuartcnz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Now the logo has started to alternate red/blue.

the trash can and envelope logo comes on briefly, then goes out.
stuartcnz

Postby thunderbird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm

stuartcnz wrote:I've tried every alternative way of connecting that I could think of, but no difference, so returned it to the way that it used to work.

ps it's an Ooma telo, if that makes any difference.

Try temporarily connecting your Ooma Setup Modem-Router-Ooma again.

Before connecting remove power from your Modem, Router, Ooma Telo, and computer.

This time in additon to the other connections, temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo, then computer. Let the Ooma Telo boot as far as it will boot.

In the computer browser window type http://172.27.35.1 and the Ooma Setup pages will open.

Click on Internet. Following Connection type: Click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP).
At the bottom of the page click on Update device. Reboot everything again.
thunderbird

Postby stuartcnz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I think I may have found the problem. It appears that my internet connection has slowed to a crawl, which, though allowing me to keep using the internet okay, I think it is probably to slow for the Ooma at the moment.

I'll see what happens when my connection comes back up to speed.
stuartcnz

Postby thunderbird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 pm

stuartcnz wrote:I think I may have found the problem. It appears that my internet connection has slowed to a crawl, which, though allowing me to keep using the internet okay, I think it is probably to slow for the Ooma at the moment.

I'll see what happens when my connection comes back up to speed.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. As you can see, it also measures Upload and download Speeds. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
thunderbird

Postby stuartcnz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm

I used a more simplistic speed test, throughout the day, which showed my connection to be much much poorer than normal.

Today my connection is closer to normal, and wouldn't you know it, my Ooma is working fine again. :D
stuartcnz

Postby thunderbird » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 pm

stuartcnz wrote:I used a more simplistic speed test, throughout the day, which showed my connection to be much much poorer than normal.

Today my connection is closer to normal, and wouldn't you know it, my Ooma is working fine again. :D

In your case, it this happens again, you may want to try rebooting your modem. By rebooting your modem, you should receive a different IP and connection from your Internet provider. I had to do this when traveling, to get a better Internet provider connection. Some times I had to reboot the modem up to twenty times to get a good connection. Once I got a good connection, everything was fine.
thunderbird

Postby stuartcnz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 am

thunderbird wrote:. By rebooting your modem, you should receive a different IP and connection from your Internet provider.

Not in my case. I have a static IP address from my provider.
stuartcnz

Next

Return to Other Support Topics