Porting Verizon LandLine & Distinctive Ring (virtual) Line

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Porting Verizon LandLine & Distinctive Ring (virtual) Line

Postby pdugg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 am

Hi,

I have a Verizon landline along with a distinctive ring phone number. I want
to port both phone numbers to ooma, preferably at the same time.

1) What's the recommended sequence of events? Can I port phone numbers
at once or should they be ported one at time.
2) How many phone ports does Premier cover? Would it cover both or just
one? I suspect one.
3) I also have Verizon DSL on the same phone line. I suspect I have to
somehow get Verizon to separate the DSL billing from my phone billing
before porting my main phone number over?

The distinctive ring phone number rings on the same phone line as my
primary phone number but with a different ring pattern.

Thanks,
Paul
pdugg

Re: Porting Verizon LandLine & Distinctive Ring (virtual) Line

Postby WayneDsr » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am

The first thing you want to do is "dry loop" your dsl. That will separate your dsl from your landline phone numbers. Be sure not to CANCEL the phones, just have Verizon put dsl on one line and phone on the other line 2. If you cancel the phone at this point you will lose your phone numbers. This is probably the hardest part.

Once you are dry looped, have ooma port your numbers. Yes, one number ported is free if you have Premium service. You will have to have premium service anyway to use both numbers with ooma.

You can set one number up to ring on the hub and the other number to ring on the Scout. This way you will have control of the ring settings and voicemail boxes. I don't believe you can control the ring otherwise, unless you can on your phones. Not real sure on this, others may be able to tell you for sure.

Wayne
WayneDsr

Postby bw1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 am

pdugg wrote:1) What's the recommended sequence of events? Can I port phone numbers
at once or should they be ported one at time.

I would think you can port both at once.
Selecting Number Port under add-ons, displays this info:

Note: If you wish to purchase multiple number ports, please step through the purchase process for each port you want to complete.

pdugg wrote:2) How many phone ports does Premier cover? Would it cover both or just
one? I suspect one.

It looks like it only covers one.

More porting info here - http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/article.asp?article=261409&p=12040

pdugg wrote:3) I also have Verizon DSL on the same phone line. I suspect I have to
somehow get Verizon to separate the DSL billing from my phone billing
before porting my main phone number over?

See the Knowledgebase article - Porting a number from a landline with DSL service - http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/12652/14888/article.asp?aid=261445&tab=search&bt=4n

pdugg wrote:The distinctive ring phone number rings on the same phone line as my
primary phone number but with a different ring pattern.

If you have premier, which you'll need to have 2 phone numbers, you'll be able to have a distinctive ring tone for each on ooma.
bw1

Postby darlinsk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 am

There's also a catch with the Distinctive ring. From Verizon's perspective, Distinctive Ring is a feature, not a number. They will not allow you to port it as is. The only way you can port a number used as a distinctive ring, is to first have it set up as a separate line, then port it after that has been done. Generally, you also need to make sure that the new line is set up under its own account, and not as a secondary line under your primary account. If your plan is to port both numbers at once, this might not be the case. All of this is going to run into some money.

So. your pre-port actions are:
1) Pull DSL out to its own line
2) Get a new line with your distinctive ring number
3) Initiate port

And beware ... Verizon's incompetence can be stunning ... particularly if it is remotely complicated. I am in the process of having my distinctive ring number set up as a separate line, so that I can port over my primary number. After dozens of phone calls, and 2 days waiting at home for service that never arrives, I still don't have a 2nd dial tone. Good luck.
darlinsk

Postby jmassimilla » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:14 am

Darlinsk is right on all counts. I went through this same process 3 years ago when I ported both numbers over to Voicewing, which was a Verizon service, no less. The distinctive ring number had to be set up on its own line and the DSL drylooped. Their incompetence was indeed stunning. No one had any idea what they were doing. I talked to 10 different people and got 10 different responses on how it should be done. I went through 3 months of hell trying to get it all straightened out and in the end, I ended up loosing the DR number any way. If you do this, make sure that everything is in place on Verizon's end before starting the porting process. I'm not sure, but you may have to port them one at a time. I lost the DR number because the port of my main number took place before the DR number was completely disassociated from the main number.
darlinsk wrote:There's also a catch with the Distinctive ring. From Verizon's perspective, Distinctive Ring is a feature, not a number. They will not allow you to port it as is. The only way you can port a number used as a distinctive ring, is to first have it set up as a separate line, then port it after that has been done. Generally, you also need to make sure that the new line is set up under its own account, and not as a secondary line under your primary account. If your plan is to port both numbers at once, this might not be the case. All of this is going to run into some money.

So. your pre-port actions are:
1) Pull DSL out to its own line
2) Get a new line with your distinctive ring number
3) Initiate port

And beware ... Verizon's incompetence can be stunning ... particularly if it is remotely complicated. I am in the process of having my distinctive ring number set up as a separate line, so that I can port over my primary number. After dozens of phone calls, and 2 days waiting at home for service that never arrives, I still don't have a 2nd dial tone. Good luck.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber
jmassimilla

Return to Other Support Topics