White Pages

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

White Pages

Postby dsb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

How do I stay listed in the White Pages? If I move and take my number with me how do I get in that city's white pages?

I don't have any experience owning my own phone system and phone number :)

Thank you.

Also, anybody have any glitches today with OOMA (3/17/09)? Sometimes after making a call there would be up to a 30 second delay before connecting. Everything seems fine now.
dsb

Re: White Pages

Postby bmice » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:48 pm

dsb wrote:How do I stay listed in the White Pages? If I move and take my number with me how do I get in that city's white pages?

I don't have any experience owning my own phone system and phone number :)

Thank you.

Also, anybody have any glitches today with OOMA (3/17/09)? Sometimes after making a call there would be up to a 30 second delay before connecting. Everything seems fine now.

not sure what to tell you on the white pages....sorry.

as for the delay, i would be guessing that could be a busy time for your internet provider....or the like. we notice that once in a while and it does happen at peak times.
bmice

Postby thively » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 am

Is anyone with an Ooma number listed with directory assistance? (411)
Will I still be listed after I port from AT&T?
thively

Postby WayneDsr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 am

I believe if you are not in the white pages and are not connected with a major phone service (at&t, verizon, etc..), you have to call white pages yourself and add your info.

Not totally sure about this, but I think I read it in a previous post.

Wayne
WayneDsr

Postby thively » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 am

It's ironic that a phone service (Ooma) can offer 411, and charge for it, but not list their customers. I guess that's no different than the wireless carriers.

I got my answer in the FAQ:

411 - Directory Assistance
Directory assistance is provided by ooma by dialing 411, same as ever. Placing 411 calls carries a per-call transaction fee of $0.99. We do not list our customers numbers in any directory listings.
thively

Postby bmice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 pm

WayneDsr wrote:I believe if you are not in the white pages and are not connected with a major phone service (at&t, verizon, etc..), you have to call white pages yourself and add your info.

Not totally sure about this, but I think I read it in a previous post.

Wayne

I would say you are correct Wayne! There may be a fee involved though depending on the circumstances.
bmice

Postby swatts » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 pm

As far as I know there are no VoIp service provicers that list their customers in the white pages. Only land based lines do. But I'm sure you could have yourself listed in your local directory by calling them and for a small fee (of course)...
swatts

Postby oomg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 am

swatts wrote:As far as I know there are no VoIp service provicers that list their customers in the white pages. Only land based lines do. But I'm sure you could have yourself listed in your local directory by calling them and for a small fee (of course)...

...all the while ATnT has charged me extra for being excluded from the white pages (i.e. unlisted number). Besides, who even looks at the white pages anymore? There are multiple search engines that are quite willing to list you.

As for information, I will be trying Google's new service
800-GOOG411 at least for business listings. Check it out. Given ooma's recent news announcement of the relationship with Google Voice, it may well be that ooma could or would provide a hot button to the GOOG411 service.

oomg

p.s. just tried the GOOG411 service for a business in Azusa, California... worked great.

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.
oomg

Return to Other Support Topics