Ooma alternatives?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.

Ooma alternatives?

Postby wshafiq » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 am

I have been without phone service at my home for over a week now. Have spoken to customer service many times, still there is no resolution to my problem. I have been doing some research on an alternate VOIP phone service. So far SIP (Google Voice + Gizmo5) looks like the best option. Does anyone know of a better alternative?

Anyone considering to buy a ooma device should keep in mind that it can turn into a brick after a year of service. I don't know if it is faulty hardware or a self destruct mechanism designed to get rid of non-premier customers.
wshafiq

Re: Ooma alternatives?

Postby southsound » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 am

When you consider how many people have had the ooma hub/scout for much more than a year, that is a really quantum leap to think that ooma hassomehow built in a "fail" mechanism. Some of the units have been out there for three years without a glitch. My own unit runs with just the core features and has been flawless since Febrary. It is unfortunate that you have been having problems - but that does not mean everyone does. Have you sent an email to one of the moderators to see if they could figure out what is happening? I know that they are rather busy with the Telo rollout but I also know that customer satisfaction is key.

I see that in another post you described the problem and enlisted help - but were unsuccessful in fixing things. Maybe this is something that will have to be dealt with by ooma, but there are a lot of very helpful people on the forum who would love to help!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Postby Groundhound » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:40 am

wshafiq wrote:I have been without phone service at my home for over a week now. Have spoken to customer service many times, still there is no resolution to my problem. I have been doing some research on an alternate VOIP phone service. So far SIP (Google Voice + Gizmo5) looks like the best option. Does anyone know of a better alternative?

Anyone considering to buy a ooma device should keep in mind that it can turn into a brick after a year of service. I don't know if it is faulty hardware or a self destruct mechanism designed to get rid of non-premier customers.

I'm sympathetic to your frustration, but I really doubt the existence of "a self destruct mechanism designed to get rid of non-premier customers", otherwise these boards would be filled with similar complaints. Ooma's warranty is one year unless you extend it, and it is an unfortunate fact of life that equipment breaks sooner or later. In evaluating alternatives you should look at what you've paid vs. the alternatives. Base on your forum join date it looks like you purchased your Hub more than 16 months ago (assuming you joined the forum as soon as you purchased). Assuming a purchase price of $250 the monthly cost has been $15.63. So whatever alternatives you explore should not exceed that. Today at Amazon you would pay $224 for a new Ooma Core system, and if it only lasted 16 months the cost would be $14 per month, for comparison's sake. Obviously if you were luckier the second time around the cost would be lower. Whatever you choose I wish you better luck with it.
Groundhound

Postby wshafiq » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:24 am

People on this forum have been quite helpful. I received a number of suggestions from people like you, but unfortunately nothing worked. My warranty has expired and ooma cannot replace the unit.

Not everyone would report a malfunctioning device. Some people will just toss it in the bin and get a new one. I guess I am just not used to electronic devices suddenly failing without a cause. I have $24.18 balance in my prepaid account. I hope they will return it.
wshafiq

Postby allo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Nothing lasts for ever... some things fail sooner for some people than for others... due to the way we use things... and/or sometimes due to part failures.
I bought mine on sale for $190 and also bought a Lifetime Premier for $350 which extends the warranty to 3 years ...
Assuming the Hardware is a total loss after 3 years; it would have cost me $15 a month.

Where else can I get a phone service even with a bare minimum for that price (local calls and nothing else!)?
The same service I am getting with OOMA would cost at least $45 - $50 with a regular telco... in the end I would be way ahead of the game by $ 1,050 (after 36 months and assuming OOMA stays in business that long.).

NB: I wish OOMA releases in the near future some stats. as to how many customers they have, etc...
Keeping everything secret is not going to improve anything if and when it comes to IPOs in the future.
The more transparent things are the better their chances of hitting it big!...Keeping things secret will make potential buyers /customers (of Service and/or Stock) uneasy, to say the least!
Funny thing to keep everybody in the dark when trying to build up a business! I don't think it has any benefit whatsoever! To the contrary! Building a business goes hand in hand with building confidence with the Public... and building confidence does not come overnight and with secrecy!
allo

Postby WayneDsr » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Sorry Southsound. I just had to steal it!

Wayne
Attachments
Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg
Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 3828 times
WayneDsr

Postby captainslog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:13 pm

My Ooma Telco that I bought from Costco for $199 turned to a brink just after a year. It never quite worked properly. Always dropping calls. Always having to be reset. I finally had it and was on with Ooma tech support for several hours and they couldn't fix the problem. Definitely hardware.

Never have I returned a product after owning for more than a year, but thankfully Costco took it back and hopefully they make Ooma eat the loss.

Ooma is a nice idea, but a triple play from a cable company is a better deal. On the surface of it, it seems more expensive than an Ooma system. When you consider the cost of the Telco unit that didn't last even a year and the cost of the inconvenience, it is well worth the $10 a month I pay for phone service from my cable company. Charter advertises it for @29.99, but on a triple play adding in Internet and Cable TV, the cost of reliable phone service is practically free and a much better alternative to Ooma.

And you don't have to deal with cheaply made Chinese hardware from Ooma. The only downside for me now, that I am stuck with two Ooma handsets. Anyone want two Ooma handset. I'm selling them for $10 each plus shipping. Just send me a shipping box and I'll send you my handsets.

BTW - I didn't find that Ooma handsets are very well made. Light weight plastic, poorly designed UI. I'll take my six year old Seimens handsets any day of the week over the Ooma handsets.

For Ooma alternatives . . .

A Cable Triple Play. A Google Voice account with a telephone phone adapter you can buy from Amazon . . . just look up voip telephone adaptor on amazon. I won't list the names here as it is probably reason enough for Ooma to delete this message.

Bottom line, my Ooma system worked great for about three months then it didn't work so well for another six month. Then my family just went to using their cell phones in our home, even though cell phone reception is marginable in our area, but Ooma was worse, much worse. Dropped calls in my own home. By the end of a year, Ooma telco was not working at all, and ooma techsupport couldn't make it work either.

Bottom line: The Telco unit with two Ooma handsets and the monthly premium service, my phone bill was more than $30 a months. Hardly free. Very unreliable. And NOT worth the trouble.

For me I'm going with my cable triple play and to experiment I'm working on Google Voice with a VOIP telephone adaptor. I'm also looking to use Google Voice with my Cell Phone.

I will NEVER go back to Ooma. I gave them a very fair opportunity and they failed big time.
Last edited by captainslog on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainslog

Postby lbmofo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm

captainslog wrote:Bottom line, my Ooma system worked great for about three months then it seems to work not so well. By the end of a year, it was not working at all, and ooma techsupport couldn't make it at all. The Telco unit with the hand sets and the monthly premium service, my phone bill was more than $30 a months. Hardly free. Very unreliable. And NOT worth the trouble.

For me I'm going with my cable triple play and to experiment I'm working on Google Voice with a VOIP telephone adaptor. I'm also looking to use Google Voice with my Cell Phone.

I will NEVER go back to Ooma. I gave them a very fair opportunity and they failed big time.

Sorry to see you go but your internet setup evidently can not support VoIP; a lot of us have no issues at all and enjoying Ooma. Your cost actually was $0 over the year other than your $4 monthly taxes. The handsets you bought, the cost for those is a different story; should not be counted in monthly service. Well, my only advice is...don't let the cable company fool you that they are only charging you $10 a month for phone service. More like $30+
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby captainslog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Sorry to see you go but your internet setup evidently can not support VoIP;

You assume it is my internet setup. You must be a message board troll paid by Ooma to try to mitigate negative reviews.

But half-baked, un-informed assumptions doesn't really help people. If Ooma really wanted to help people, they wouldn't pay people like you.

I was an Ooma customer for over a year, and I'll let you know some other great reasons why NO ONE should use an Ooma Telco in this post.

But let me inform you about my internet setup. I was on with ooma tech support (using my cell phone . . . ironically) for several hours, and Ooma tech support couldn't make my Ooma Telco work. I got to the highest level of tech support available from Ooma. Hardware. Cheap, Chinese made hardware, is the reason Ooma failed for me . . . NOT MY INTERNET setup.

Secondly, even it was my internet setup, Ooma tech support didn't admit it. But that is an interesting and scary thought . . . the Ooma telco box is not compatible with a number of Internet services . . . I was on both Time Warner and Charter.

I'm not sure what is worse . . . that the Ooma Telco box became useless after 3 months, or that Ooma Corporate isn't forthright enough to let its users know if cable companies like Time Warner, Charter, Comcast and others will NOT allow an Ooma Telco unit to work over their systems.

Whatever, the Ooma Telco unit is a FAIL.

At the end of the day the Cable Triple play is a much, much better solution for me, and I'm sure for most other as well. Something old and reliable.

The bright and shiny Ooma Fails on so many fronts . . . here are just a few of them:

* The Cable company will send someone out to fix my phone system, if it goes out. Ooma won't. With Ooma, you are DIY.

* I don't pay for my telephone adaptor from the Cable company. The cable company gives that to me for free. Ooma's Telco adapter is cheaply made in China. And didn't last me one year. That is about $15 a month for a box that didn't even work the full year.

* Internet service alone is more expensive then Internet bundled with other services like Telco and TV. Ooma doesn't save me money when I have to pay more for Internet alone. In fact, Ooma is more expensive when you factor all the costs together.

* In an emergency, If my Internet ever goes out, my Ooma service goes out. But if my internet goes out, the Cable company's Telco system does NOT go out. In the case of a medical emergency or a natural disaster, my chances of communicating go up when I don't have an Ooma system that relies on my Internet system.

* The Ooma Telco unit might be incompatible with your current Internet provider. Ooma doesn't seem to make that information available and my cable internet provider won't admit. But do you really want to chance having you phone system go out willy nilly and no tell you why and have no one able to fix it for you . . . .

I can go on and on why the Ooma should NOT be anyone's choice for an phone system, I just hope that my post will save others from the inconvenience of the unreliable disaster that can await them if they dive into this DIY phone alternative.

Bottomline is that Ooma telco is a FAIL. Some shiny new things tarnish after just a few months. My advice . . . don't get caught up in the glitter . . . I've been in technology for more than 30 years. I've seen lots of stuff come and go. Ooma should definitely go.

After my year-long experience, I hope this review helps others, please let me know.
Last edited by captainslog on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainslog

Postby MapleOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 pm

What sets Ooma apart is the control panel and the amount of features. It is the first time I can say I am truly in charge of my phone.

Fortunately my hardware is functioning properly (only been a few months) and I don't run into issues. I too bought my unit from Costco and the good part is they take electronics back even after one year. I purposely bought it at costco because they have a good policy.

If my unit fails and I have to buy another then I will contact Ooma and ask them to give me a special deal on a new one. I'm not sure if they have such a policy, but it does not hurt to ask.

In the end... I love my Ooma... I am definitely not paid by them... I would buy another if my unit fails.
I am in a position to afford a new one, which is not the same for everyone, so it was not about saving money. My sole decision to get an Ooma was for the innovative features. That part of it is worth it to me and it would make me think long and hard before I ever considered switching back to a traditional phone.

My heart goes out to anyone who has had a hardware failure, maybe in the future Ooma could have a discount to members when their unit fails. We will have to wait and see how that develops....
MapleOne

Next

Return to My Ooma (Web Portal)