Puerto Rico numbers

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system? Post your questions here.

Puerto Rico numbers

Postby Lola » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 am

I noticed that ooma is now being sold in Puerto Rico and they have 787 area code numbers available on the website. So I asked through the website whether it was possible to get my "second number" to be in Puerto Rico and whether calls from this number to Puerto Rico would be free. i was told yes and yes. I did this cause normally calls to Puerto Rico are not free.

When I call out, I have been pressing the #2 which I would assume would have me call with my secondary number, also dialed with "**1" to display the 787 number on the caller id. But no matter what i do I keep getting charged for the call.

I have talked to customer support a few times, but they genuinely seem stumped by questions about Puerto Rico numbers. One of the people I talked to said "to just try it". I understand them offering numbers there is new. I dont understand how these can be sold in Puerto Rico then. I wonder if it makes a difference to have the primary line be the 787 area code instead of the secondary. I am about to get rid of the 787 number cause its not doing me any good.
Lola

Re: Puerto Rico numbers

Postby niknak » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:24 am

The units are being sold in Puerto Rico presumably so residents can make free toll calls within the 787 and 939 area codes, not free calls to the US and not vice versa.
Even though the area codes on your ooma device and the station you are calling are the same, physically the call from the US to PR is still going through the POTS toll system to get there.

If you no longer need the PR number a call to OOMA customer service should solve your problem
niknak

Postby Bobby B » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

If you choose a Puerto Rico phone number, other Puerto Rican residents can call your ooma number at local Puerto Rican rates (or free if they're in the same calling area).

If you're placing an outbound call to another Puerto Rican number, it will still be treated as an International call, irregardless of whether you've selected a Puerto Rican phone number or not.
Bobby B
Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Postby Lola » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for your answer.

I think you are right thats the way it works since I have tested every way possible. But I am surprised the level of confusion in customer support. This morning I was told that i was being charged because my seattle number was primary, and to configure a scout and assign the 787 number to that scout and then the calls from that scout would be free. Obviously that didnt work either. Nobody really seems to know for sure.
Lola

Postby southsound » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Lola wrote:Thanks for your answer.

Nobody really seems to know for sure.

You can be sure that if BobbyB says something it is accurate. He's one of ooma's brightest stars! :idea: No fluff or marketing stuff, just the real answers. And the coolest thing is that ooma has people like BobbyB and DennisP who frequent the board to give us the straight skinny.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 6 / Numbers: 10 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Postby solimar4kids » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:35 am

Bobby B wrote:If you choose a Puerto Rico phone number, other Puerto Rican residents can call your ooma number at local Puerto Rican rates (or free if they're in the same calling area).

If you're placing an outbound call to another Puerto Rican number, it will still be treated as an International call, irregardless of whether you've selected a Puerto Rican phone number or not.

This is bad why Puerto Rico is not free???? Please keep up with the competition (Vonage, Att and many more) Even MAGIC JACK haves Puerto Rico, Guam and Canada free.
solimar4kids

Postby Aulina » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:32 pm

I live in Puerto Rico. I just bought a Ooma, installed it, made two local calls to two 787 numbers and it worked just fine. When I tried to make a third call, I got a "empty prepaid account, please add more money" message. Called customer service and three different reps later, nobody knew what to do. I'm taking this thing back to the store first thing Monday morning. UGH. Such a waste of time...

787 IS A USA AREA CALLING CODE, OOMA PEOPLE. CALLS TO, FRO AND WITHIN PUERTO RICO SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LOCAL AND THUS FREE. I'D EVEN SETTLE FOR FREE CALLS WITHIN THE 787 AREA CODE. SHEES.
Aulina

Postby Aulina » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Aulina wrote:I live in Puerto Rico. I just bought a Ooma, installed it, made two local calls to two 787 numbers and it worked just fine. When I tried to make a third call, I got a "empty prepaid account, please add more money" message. Called customer service and three different reps later, nobody knew what to do. I'm taking this thing back to the store first thing Monday morning. UGH. Such a waste of time...

787 IS A USA AREA CALLING CODE, OOMA PEOPLE. CALLS TO, FRO AND WITHIN PUERTO RICO SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LOCAL AND THUS FREE. I'D EVEN SETTLE FOR FREE CALLS WITHIN THE 787 AREA CODE. SHEES.

HAHAHA! THIS WOULD BE HILARIOUS IF THE OOMA WASN'T SO EXPENSIVE AND HADN'T TAKEN ME SO MUCH TIME TO SET UP. I JUST CALLED A USA NUMBER: AND IT WENT THROUGH!!!!!!

Sooooooo, I can call long distance to the main USA without charge, but I can't call my next door neighbor... UGH.
Aulina

Postby Groundhound » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Unfortunately, the cost for Ooma to place a call outside the 50 states is not determined by physical distance. Just a few posts up from yours in this thread, Bobby B, Ooma Moderator, said:
Bobby B wrote:If you choose a Puerto Rico phone number, other Puerto Rican residents can call your ooma number at local Puerto Rican rates (or free if they're in the same calling area).

Puerto Rico is included in the 500 min. for $4.99 plan for Premier subscribers.
Groundhound

Postby Lola » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Aulina, did you buy the ooma in Puerto Rico or ordered it from the US mainland? I thought I saw somewhere Puerto Rico being listed as one of the locations where ooma was being sold at costco. I cant imagine they can be selling very well in Puerto Rico stores when you cannot call locally.
Lola

Return to Calling and Usage