Retrieving Voicemail Remotely

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system? Post your questions here.

Retrieving Voicemail Remotely

Postby danvm » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Is there a number that can be called to remotely access my voicemail without having to wait until my I hear my outgoing message? It is annoying to try to retrieve my voicemail only to have someone at home pick up the phone. Vonage offers this ability and gives you a local number to dial.
danvm

Re: Retrieving Voicemail Remotely

Postby bmice » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

danvm wrote:Is there a number that can be called to remotely access my voicemail without having to wait until my I hear my outgoing message? It is annoying to try to retrieve my voicemail only to have someone at home pick up the phone. Vonage offers this ability and gives you a local number to dial.

I use the premium service and get my voicemail thru email. If i need to it can be sent to my cell phone.

I havent tried to send to the cell phone yet but dont see it as being a problem.
bmice

Postby danvm » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:51 am

That doesn't really address the question but thank you for your input.

To restate, I want to be able to call a number that puts me right to my voicemail. As it is, to retrieve calls remotely you have to call your own number and hope no one picks up, etc.

With Vonage, I could have a speeddial that called a local number, entered a code, and I can listen to my voicemail. Apparently this is not an option with Ooma.
danvm

Postby bmice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:21 am

danvm wrote:That doesn't really address the question but thank you for your input.

To restate, I want to be able to call a number that puts me right to my voicemail. As it is, to retrieve calls remotely you have to call your own number and hope no one picks up, etc.

With Vonage, I could have a speeddial that called a local number, entered a code, and I can listen to my voicemail. Apparently this is not an option with Ooma.

it isnt an option as of yet. i am not sure why they would add it. As of now anyone who is on the correct plan can access their voice mail from anyplace in the world(just a different method). I use the feature everyday and it works great! I never have to listen to my out going message either! I also now have records that i can keep without filling up my box.

If you cant make this method work to your advantage, keep on mentioning it. Hard to compare to vonage as they are nailing you with fees every month and have a little more resources.

good luck!
bmice

Postby thively » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 am

There is no reason Ooma shouldn't be able to add a voice mail retrieval phone number like Dan is asking for. Any VM system I've ever used has always had a direct dial number so you don't have to call your own number (coporate, land line VM, cell VM systems, etc.)

It's pretty standard for a VM set up.

I highly appreciate the .wav attachments to email that I can listen to on my phone. This method is far more convenient for me, but not everyone has a smart phone that they can play attachments on. I too would find this convenient on rare occasions so I don't have to make the phone ring and bother people at home if I don't have email or a web browser at my disposal.

Having said that, it's no less than what I had before. I had to call my home answering machine and break in with a code to retrieve messages, so in that respect I'm getting only much more, no less.

But in comparison to other VOIP services, it's a loss.

Hopefully Ooma will continue to polish the service with additions like this.
thively

Postby bmice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:58 pm

thively wrote:There is no reason Ooma shouldn't be able to add a voice mail retrieval phone number like Dan is asking for. Any VM system I've ever used has always had a direct dial number so you don't have to call your own number (coporate, land line VM, cell VM systems, etc.)

It's pretty standard for a VM set up.

I highly appreciate the .wav attachments to email that I can listen to on my phone. This method is far more convenient for me, but not everyone has a smart phone that they can play attachments on. I too would find this convenient on rare occasions so I don't have to make the phone ring and bother people at home if I don't have email or a web browser at my disposal.

Having said that, it's no less than what I had before. I had to call my home answering machine and break in with a code to retrieve messages, so in that respect I'm getting only much more, no less.

But in comparison to other VOIP services, it's a loss.

Hopefully Ooma will continue to polish the service with additions like this.

I agree it would be a nice addition. It might be in the best interest of all if the post was in the correct category. Others are asking for this feature too. As it has been put to me so many times "Be patient, it is FREE".

FEATURE REQUESTS WOULD BE THE PROPER POST!

You shouldnt need a smartphone to play a .wav or .mp3. Both of which can be played on most phones. I have a rule set up in my email to forward to my cell, it then sends an .mp3 to my phone. If your phone doesnt support those files, you can probably upgrade to one for free or just a few bucks(This day and age, tuff to find a phone that wont play those files). But that is a whole new can of worrms.

If the proper focus is present, the features can work to your advantage until you get the feature requested.
bmice

Postby DickRhoads » Sat May 23, 2009 2:21 am

danvm wrote:Is there a number that can be called to remotely access my voicemail without having to wait until my I hear my outgoing message? It is annoying to try to retrieve my voicemail only to have someone at home pick up the phone. Vonage offers this ability and gives you a local number to dial.

With other voicemail systems, I've used the separate VM access number to:
-- check messages without disturbing anyone at home
-- check messages when I'm in a different timezone and it's too late to ring the home phone
-- LEAVE a VM message without ringing the home phone (usually, again, when I'm in a different timezone and don't want to wake my wife up, just want to leave a message for the morning)

I'd really like to have this functionality on ooma.
DickRhoads

Postby mhowie » Mon May 25, 2009 9:14 am

From another active thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1671
--Howie
mhowie

Return to Calling and Usage