Annoyed about Google Voice Extensions

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!

Annoyed about Google Voice Extensions

Postby 3053596172 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Ooma promised Google Voice Extensions a long time ago. Its a simple thing to enable - I just want my outbound called id to show my Google Voice number.

I bought Premier for the sole purpose that they said Google Voice Extensions would be available to Premier members.

Where is it? This is really poor service to announce a product, attract people by announcing it, and then to shelve it without telling anyone.

what's wrong with you ooma?

Re: Annoyed about Google Voice Extensions

Postby bw1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 pm

It's not shelved and there was no specific date given on when it will be available. Development takes time and usually doesn't go as quickly as planned/hoped.

From http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/09/30/hello-ooma-telo/

Our “top ten” list of the many new Ooma Premier features and hardware that will be released over the next few months includes:

4. Ooma Google Voice Extensions – Extended Google Voice to your home phone too.
bw1

Postby southsound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:52 pm

First off, welcome to the forums! I am also a GV user and have been using it as a front end for my ooma number since it became available to me. I really am excited about the prospect of seamless integration of the two. That said, I understand the delay when you consider that ooma just started shipping the Telo today. The Telo contains a new processor, new operating system, new features, and some great future benefits. Knowing how difficult it was to bring this to the market in a short time frame and all of the people who participated in making the product ready for prime time, I think I can give the ooma folks a little more time. I hope you can do the same. These are great folks and ooma is not only a great product but an awesome company.

And no, I do not work for ooma. Something about raccoons not meeting the height requirement for employment or whatever. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Postby 3053596172 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I don't think it is reasonable. There was no need to announce it so early in the year if they didn't have the ability to follow through. It sets false expectations. Plus they don't need the approach of full integration or nothing. Being able to match the caller id would be a simple change and would make a huge difference.

The ooma website update was a total let down. No new features of any significance. Failure to launch the key feature they had given people to expect.

Postby southsound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:47 pm

3053596172 wrote:I don't think it is reasonable. There was no need to announce it so early in the year if they didn't have the ability to follow through. It sets false expectations. Plus they don't need the approach of full integration or nothing. Being able to match the caller id would be a simple change and would make a huge difference.

The ooma website update was a total let down. No new features of any significance. Failure to launch the key feature they had given people to expect.

Such as positive attitude. But please don't sugar coat your feelings. You can tell us how you really feel if you like. By the way, nice touch to use your actual phone number as your forum login. It will be sure to attract calls from those wonderful car warranty folks and anyone else who needs to give you a call.

Do you suppose the fact that ooma just launched a new product today has anything to do with the company not meeting your expectations for Google Voice integration? I mentioned it in my last response to your complaint but it seems like you might have missed it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Postby Groundhound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:53 pm

It took longer than expected for Google to figure out Google Voice! I'm not sure they've got a firm grip on it yet.
Groundhound

Postby 3053596172 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm

don't make assumptions - just because my username is ten digits doesn't mean it's my actual number. try dialing it if you don't believe me.

yes the launch is linked to the missed expectations. a rep told me over the phone 2 months ago that the GVE would be launched with the new website. so they set an Oct 1 expectation to me and then missed it.

I'm not slamming the service. Ooma is a very good product and I still recommend it to my friends. But great though the product is, it is not cool for a company to tell its customers they will launch a product on a particular date and then not launch it. I realise the customer service rep may not have been authorized to state that date, but common this is not AT&T. I am sure they can get their messaging straight. A broken promise is a broken promise.

Postby Rhythmic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 pm

I use Gizmo5 in the office to link up to my Google Voice number and it works great! Just get a basic sip device and you'll be set with a solution that is actually built into Google Voice.

Good for any of us lucky to have a Google Voice number (or two..three.. ;)
Rhythmic

Postby scottlindner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 am

3053596172 wrote:... it is not cool for a company to tell its customers they will launch a product on a particular date and then not launch it.

While you're at it, could you tell Bill Gates the same thing for us? Thanks.
scottlindner

Postby 3053596172 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:58 pm

scottlindner wrote:
While you're at it, could you tell Bill Gates the same thing for us? Thanks.

There's a reason I use a mac. But I would point out Microsoft had an open Beta to give people early access to the new OS. Plus their products are more complex. It doesn't take several months to develop a caller id emulation feature thats already present in the ooma softswitch.

Next

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests