2 Line Business Setup with Fax

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

2 Line Business Setup with Fax

Postby AppleTree » Sun May 10, 2009 7:27 am

Currently have a small office with 2 lines with 1st line rolling over to 2nd line with voice mailbox on 2nd line. We have the fax machine on the 2nd line as well.

What would be the optimum Ooma setup and what would be your advice?

Thanks!

Current Config:

1) DSL Line
2) Two Phone Numbers
3) AT&T EP5962 Cordless 2 line system

AppleTree

Re: 2 Line Business Setup with Fax

Postby ggilman » Sun May 10, 2009 5:36 pm

I just set mine up in a similar way to what you are after. First, you need to subscribe to Premier. Without this, no 2nd line & no multiple numbers.

You will hook the fax up to the OOMA hub. They don't really work well from a Scout. Hook your phone up to a scout over the home phone line, as per the manual. After setup, in the Lounge you can set up a 2nd number. You can also associate the 2nd number to ring on just the hub. This way, your fax will pick up but none of your phones will ring.

The issue remaining is having a 2nd phone available. You could put a splitter on the fax line at the hub & accomplish it this way but when you dial out from the attached handset, caller id will show your fax. Also, that phone would ring during an incoming fax. Rather than doing this, I purchased a 2nd scout recently and plan on adding that via the household phone lines.

With this, I'll have 2 phones, sharing the same phone # that can talk simultaneously over the OOMA's 2 lines. Also, the fax is on its own phone # and will pick up automatically without the other phones ringing. Of course, only 2 of the 3 can work at a time but it sounds like this is what you have anyway.

With that being said, OOMA is meant for residential use, not commercial. Be sure to read the terms of service to see that you fall within their guidelines. They seem fine with small home offices but the service is not designed for full sized businesses.

Also, with regards to the fax, some have better luck with faxes over OOMA than others. You may want to search the forums for fax issues. While most can get a fax to work, it's not 100% reliable.
ggilman

Postby AppleTree » Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 am

Do you mean a setup like this?

My question is if we get two calls at the same time on the primary phone number, do you hit the scout button to answer the 2nd call? If not will the 2nd unanswered call go directly to voicemail?

Can you use the cordess handset to answer the second call as if you were using call waiting? I think you can.
AppleTree

Postby BryanS » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I have the same landline setup. My house is wired with Cat5 everywhere. My 2 line phone currently is hooked up with a splitter (good for 3 pairs).

I am using the included ooma splitter attached to the wall port of the ooma. Only one line (so far) from the ooma hub to a splitter on the wall --> through the cat5 --> wall splitter at the 2 line phone. I am guessing I can place 2 scouts there and run the lines into the 2 line phone by assigning each scout a number? I do not have 2 scouts yet so I do not know if that will work. The biggest obstacle for me is getting two separate phone lines from one jack to plug into the 2 line phone. Would a splitter be able to be reversed, then plug a scout into each line, then plug each scout into the phone?

Since the scouts can be assigned and the ooma wall port has 2 pairs, I am guessing it will work. The system can handle up to 10 different numbers but I do not understand how it assigns the scouts a separate number over one line. Maybe the splitter is only needed to get 2 scouts connected to the wall near the 2 line phone. I am not sure.
BryanS

Postby murphy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:33 am

You can have up to 10 numbers but the equipment supports a maximum of two simultaneous phone calls. If you need more than two simultaneous calls, you need an additional hub for each additional two lines.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby niknak » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:36 am

...I do not understand how it assigns the scouts a separate number over one line...

It works much the same as a traditional telephone company option for "teen lines"

From a typical tariff:
TEEN LINE $4.00
This service allows you to have a second telephone number assigned to your existing line. It can be used by any customer who wants to have some of the advantages of a second line at a small cost. How does it work? All incoming calls on a teen line number will have two short rings, so the customer can distinguish which line is being called. If you have call waiting and are on a call, you will hear two short beeps if the incoming call is on the teen line number
niknak

Postby BryanS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm

So I do not need 2 scouts? I need to have 2 separate lines coming in to the 2 line phone. Can I use a splitter off of the scout to create the 2 different lines?
BryanS

Postby BryanS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Nevermind. That doesn't work...
BryanS

Postby murphy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 am

The phone port of the hub feeds line 1 of the two line phone.
The phone port of the scout feeds line 2 of the two line phone.
The wall ports of the hub and the scout must be connected together. Either directly with them sitting side by side or through the wiring in the wall if they are in different rooms.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby BryanS » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks murphy! That works.
BryanS

Next

Return to Installation