lousy reception

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.

lousy reception

Postby rich t » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:32 am

I've called ooma reps a few times in ref to the sound quality on my end.
It's choppy and garbled.
They've told me my jitter is too high,(it varies every time I run ping) to have my ISP lower the buffer.
I have a service call in for that.
Last night, when I spoke to them, I was told that my upload speed was too low for ooma.
My isp upload speed this morning was 256 KP.
Is this OK???
Do I need to upgrade my ISP service??
Right now, I'm signed up for the basic ISP, it's 1.5 mbps x 256kb
thanks,

OK guys, I want to thank everyone who responded to my problem.
I've tried mostly everything and still have the problem.
Seems like only MY reception is bad, what's really bad is someone on a cell phone.
As I said, I do have basic which one reply was to upgrade just a little.
My next uprade would be to 7.0 Mbps X 512 Kbps upload.
It's a ten dollar a month increase and being on a fixed income that's not I want to do, that's not why I invested in ooma.
Any opionions about upgrading my ISP ??
Thanks much. Rich T
Last edited by rich t on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich t

Re: lousy reception

Postby thunderbird » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 am

rich t wrote:I've called ooma reps a few times in ref to the sound quality on my end.
It's choppy and garbled.
They've told me my jitter is too high,(it varies every time I run ping) to have my ISP lower the buffer.
I have a service call in for that.
Last night, when I spoke to them, I was told that my upload speed was too low for ooma.
My isp upload speed this morning was 256 KP.
Is this OK???
Do I need to upgrade my ISP service??
Right now, I'm signed up for the basic ISP, it's 1.5 mbps x 256kb
thanks,

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload.

If it were me, I'd upgrade my IPS service, but not by much.
thunderbird

Postby lbmofo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:45 am

Ooma requires at least 256 Kbps upstream network speed (384 Kbps recommended). You don't usually see mention of required download speed but assumption is that download is much higher than upload.

Any kind of DSL Lite maybe bad news for VoIP because the way the ISP slows down/limits your speed may negatively impact voice quality.

I'd go with a package that's got upstream of at least 768Kbps or 896Kbps.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby Charles R » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 am

lbmofo wrote:Ooma requires at least 256 Kbps upstream network speed (384 Kbps recommended). You don't usually see mention of required download speed but assumption is that download is much higher than upload.

I haven't charted a lot of calls but with this one you can see roughly the bandwidth Ooma used. Subtract the activity before and after the call and you're pretty close. Green is data going to the Internet and Blue data coming to my network. It was a local call with plenty of unused bandwidth available and the Telo is placed behind the router with 0 for both Quality settings.
Attachments
Call2.png
Call2.png (30.22 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Charles R

Postby lbmofo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Graph looks like a device is using up 100's of Kbps per sec.

Using iLBC, Ooma is supposed to take up only ~35Kbps to ~40Kbps per sec.

viewtopic.php?t=11771#p82552

lbmofo

Postby Dart2345 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 pm

I also have experienced very garbled incoming calls today, Sept.1, 2011. However, callers said that my voice quality was fine. This was true for both incoming and outgoing calls. By 4 pm the problem appears to have mostly disappeared. Periodic voice quality issues with OOMA are a real issue with ohers in my household and may force me to drop them at some point.
Dart2345

Postby thunderbird » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Dart2345 wrote:I also have experienced very garbled incoming calls today, Sept.1, 2011. However, callers said that my voice quality was fine. This was true for both incoming and outgoing calls. By 4 pm the problem appears to have mostly disappeared. Periodic voice quality issues with OOMA are a real issue with ohers in my household and may force me to drop them at some point.

Dart2345: Two things that should help:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Setting Quality of Service, only for Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
thunderbird

Postby lbmofo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Dart2345, you can also check out this "voice quality" thread: viewtopic.php?t=10023

lbmofo

Return to Call Quality