Upload Speed Discrepancy

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.

Upload Speed Discrepancy

Postby tonyn999 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:46 am

I used speedtest.net multiple times to determine my upload speed. It averaged out to 2.67 Mbps (or ~2670 kbps). This should be plenty of bandwidth for Ooma. But I was still getting occasional poor call quality (choppy voice). So I called Ooma support and the first thing the technician had me do was to measure my upload speed *while* I was on an Ooma call. The numbers were drastically different, averaging 0.19 mbps. Why would there be such a discrepancy?

I am using Comcast cable for my broadband connection. In my area they offer a single business level of service advertised at 12 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps of upload speed. Since upload is what I am interested in, I'm wondering if I should consider this level of service. It is more expensive than my current residential service, and the level of service seems to be less than the 2.67 Mbps I am now getting.

At this point it looks like I just may not be able to get high enough upload speed to support Ooma.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.
tonyn999

Re: Upload Speed Discrepancy

Postby murphy » Thu May 26, 2011 6:57 am

Go into Ooma setup

http://setup.ooma.com

or

http://172.27.35.1

Go to the advanced page and set both Quality of Service numbers to 0.
Click update.

Rerun your test.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby thunderbird » Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 am

tonyn999 wrote:I used speedtest.net multiple times to determine my upload speed. It averaged out to 2.67 Mbps (or ~2670 kbps). This should be plenty of bandwidth for Ooma. But I was still getting occasional poor call quality (choppy voice). So I called Ooma support and the first thing the technician had me do was to measure my upload speed *while* I was on an Ooma call. The numbers were drastically different, averaging 0.19 mbps. Why would there be such a discrepancy?

I am using Comcast cable for my broadband connection. In my area they offer a single business level of service advertised at 12 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps of upload speed. Since upload is what I am interested in, I'm wondering if I should consider this level of service. It is more expensive than my current residential service, and the level of service seems to be less than the 2.67 Mbps I am now getting.

At this point it looks like I just may not be able to get high enough upload speed to support Ooma.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

If your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router, access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.
First:
Click on Internet on left side of window. Go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In. Click on Update Device.
Second:
Click on Advanced on left side of window.
Under Quality of Service, set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speed to approximately 80 % of the measured upload and down load speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/.

Note: 80 % is just a starting point and you may need to adjust the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds higher or lower to allow your Ooma to function properly and also your LAN device requirements. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.

Third:
If you Ooma setup is connected Modem-Router-Ooma, temporaily connect a network cable from your Ooma Telo home port to the wired LAN port of a comuter. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in th computer if turned on. Reboot the computer.
Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.
Set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds to Zero. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.

After testing, if you still have problems, set both the Upstream Internet Speed and the Downstream Internet Speeds to a setting about 1000 kbps higher than the http://www.speedtest.net/ speeds. Click on Update; reboot your Ooma Telo and Test.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu May 26, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbird

Postby tonyn999 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 am

murphy wrote:Go into Ooma setup

or

Click update.

Rerun your test.

Ok, I did this, and the speed test seems much better and is not affected much by whether or not I have an open Ooma phone call during the test or not. Here are my numbers with speedtest.net and pingtest.net:

Download: ~25 Mbps
Upload: 2.53 Mbps
Packet Loss: 0%
Ping: 37 ms
Jitter: 11 ms

Another poster, and the Ooma documentation suggests manually setting the upstream and downstream internet speed to ~80 of the measured values. A couple of questions:

1) Should I proceed to set the 80% value? If so, beyond seeing if audio is broken up is there an empirical test I can run to see if the change is improving or degrading the VoIP quality?

2) What does a setting of 0 for the upstream and downstream internet speed do?

3) The Ooma tech mentioned that jitter should be 5 ms or less for optimal Ooma performance. Is there anything I can do to improve jitter?

Thanks again.
tonyn999

Postby tonyn999 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

tonyn999 wrote:
murphy wrote:Go into Ooma setup

or

Click update.

Rerun your test.

Ok, I did this, and the speed test seems much better and is not affected much by whether or not I have an open Ooma phone call during the test or not. Here are my numbers with speedtest.net and pingtest.net:

Another poster, and the Ooma documentation suggests manually setting the upstream and downstream internet speed to ~80 of the measured values. A couple of questions:

1) Should I proceed to set the 80% value? If so, beyond seeing if audio is broken up is there an empirical test I can run to see if the change is improving or degrading the VoIP quality?

3) The Ooma tech mentioned that jitter should be 5 ms or less for optimal Ooma performance. Is there anything I can do to improve jitter?

Thanks again.

Thank you for the detailed response. I have a few follow-up questions (by the way I have a Modem -> Ooma -> Router topology):

1) The MAC address setting was set to automatic rather than built-in. I noticed the MAC address is the same for both settings, but I changed it to built-in per your suggestion.

2) I rebooted the Ooma unit, but I'm surprised that this is necessary. In previous attempts to change the upstream and downstream settings I have clicked on the update button, but I have not rebooted the Ooma unit. Is it possible the configuration changes I made (without rebooting) were not taking affect?

3) I have not tried the 80% setting yet as another responder suggested I try setting the upstream and downstream values to 0, but if the occasional choppy calls continue I'll try that followed by an Ooma reboot.

Thanks.
tonyn999

Postby murphy » Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 am

tonyn999 wrote:Ok, I did this, and the speed test seems much better and is not affected much by whether or not I have an open Ooma phone call during the test or not. Here are my numbers with speedtest.net and pingtest.net:

Thanks again.

1. With your upload speed there is no benefit to QOS being active unless you are in the habit of doing heavy internet access while you are on a call.

2. Setting QOS to zero disables it.

3. The only thing you can do about jitter is to check the signal levels in the modem to see if they are too low or too high.
Connect to 192.168.100.1 with your browser and go to the Signal page. You are looking for downstream signal level, downstream signal to noise ratio (SNR), and upstream power level.
Hub with 2 Scouts
murphy

Postby thunderbird » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 am

tonyn999 wrote:Another poster, and the Ooma documentation suggests manually setting the upstream and downstream internet speed to ~80 of the measured values. A couple of questions:

Thanks again.

Ooma suggests the Quality of Service settings to be set to around 80% for the Modem-Ooma-Router configuration.

Ooma suggests the Quality of Service settings to be set to zero for the Modem-Router-Ooma configuration.
Setting the Quality of Service setting to zero shuts off Quality of Service in the Ooma Telo.

You can reboot your modem which may give a better Internet connection. Than run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and see if things (Jitter) improved. When I was in China this spring with our Ooma Telo, I had to reboot the modem up to twenty times to get a good Internet connection. Once I got a good Internet connection, we could call back to USA loud and clear, without any problems.

But since you have already set your Quality of Service setting to zero, try it first before changing.

But let us know how it comes out.
thunderbird

Postby vicw » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

tonyn999 wrote:... So I called Ooma support and the first thing the technician had me do was to measure my upload speed *while* I was on an Ooma call. The numbers were drastically different, averaging 0.19 mbps. Why would there be such a discrepancy?...

I'm scratching my head trying to understand all of this. It seems from your data, that when the Telo performs an upstream bandwidth test, it measures 2.67 mbps, which is hugely above and beyond what the Telo is supposed to require for an optimal phone call, but when you run the test while a call is also in progress, as Oooma suggested, the test measured an available upstream bandwidth of 0.19mbps.

That implies to me that the voice call itself is using up 2.48 mbps of the overall 2.67 mbps bandwidth, which sounds ludicrous to me, as it's way beyond the stated Ooma spec bandwidth requirement, and I just can't understand how the actual upstream, or downstream data flow of a voice call would be more than 1/10th of that amount. As a user with a current upstream limit of 512kbps, which is the highest speed available to me, I find that enormously troubling, especially since you are experiencing voice quality issue even with the huge bandwidth you have available. Even with my little bitty 512kbps, I can't say that I'm having serious issues with garbling, or choppy voice calls. I am having a serious delay issue, but that is another topic for another thread.

I'll readily admit that there's much I don't understand here, but this one really doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe someone with more expertise can make it make sound more rational.
vicw

Postby murphy » Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

The default for upstream QOS is 384 kbps. When a call is not in progress QOS is disabled. When a call is in progress the call takes most of the 384kbps leaving nothing for computer use. The QOS value is supposed to be set to the actual upload speed or around 80% of the upload speed so the Telo QOS knows what it has to work with and can take what it needs. With high upstream speeds the Telo's requirements are a drop in the bucket and QOS can be disabled (set to 0).
The 384 default is because that is the most common DSL upstream speed. For high speed cable it is not needed.
Hub with 2 Scouts
murphy

Postby vicw » Thu May 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks, Murphy. I get that part. What's got me befuddled is how the Telo could apparently use over 2 mbps of the total bandwidth for a voice call, for the duration of a test, as the test results implied? How could it momentarily, let alone steadily, generate that much data flow? It doesn't add up to me, but maybe I'm still missing the obvious.

It occurs to me that the data flow limitation on his test is probably with the Telo, and doesn't reflect the actual bandwidth provided by the ISP.
Last edited by vicw on Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicw

Next

Return to Call Quality