Cannot distribute OOMA dialtone using existing wiring

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Cannot distribute OOMA dialtone using existing wiring

Postby demaximis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:35 am

After a successful port of my home number from AT&T, everything appears to be working with my new Telo, and I am finally ready to cut the landline cord. However, when I tried to distribute the OOMA dial tone to the rest of the phones in the house, I ran into difficulty.

I went to my phone box, and instead of finding just one jack to disconnect, I found two (see picture below). I figured that I was supposed to disconnect both jacks, which I did (one thing that was odd is that when I disconnected them, it seemed like there was a little bit of rubber cement, or some kind of silicone on the tips of them -- they still pulled out pretty easily, but I was not expecting any kind of sealant/adhesive -- you can still sort of see it in the picture as the shiny stuff in the empty jack).

I have an alarm that was once connected to the phone line and monitored by ADT. Now, it is monitored over the net through nextalarm. I only mention this as one possible reason why there are two jacks in the box.

I went back upstairs and (foolishly) said to my wife that now we would hear the OOMA dialtone everywhere in the house, and I plugged the wall jack from the OOMA (a phone is plugged into the phone jack, and works perfectly) to the wall jack in my house. I picked up anotehr phone connected to the house wiring, but not connected to the OOMA, and ... silence.

So, for some reason the OOMA dialtone is not being distributed. I'm wondering if it's because I unplugged both jacks at the wiring box, and if so, which one should be plugged back in. Any suggestions regarding what I may have done wrong? I do not believe that DSL was ever installed in the house (I am not the original owner), but I'm not positive (nor do I know if it would make a difference if it was). Thanks in advance -- the wife is still waiting...

phoneboxsmall.jpg
Phone box
phoneboxsmall.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 698 times
demaximis

Re: Cannot distribute OOMA dialtone using existing wiring

Postby kdmc69 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:40 am

demaximis wrote:After a successful port of my home number from AT&T, everything appears to be working with my new Telo, and I am finally ready to cut the landline cord. However, when I tried to distribute the OOMA dial tone to the rest of the phones in the house, I ran into difficulty.

I went to my phone box, and instead of finding just one jack to disconnect, I found two (see picture below). I figured that I was supposed to disconnect both jacks, which I did (one thing that was odd is that when I disconnected them, it seemed like there was a little bit of rubber cement, or some kind of silicone on the tips of them -- they still pulled out pretty easily, but I was not expecting any kind of sealant/adhesive -- you can still sort of see it in the picture as the shiny stuff in the empty jack).

I have an alarm that was once connected to the phone line and monitored by ADT. Now, it is monitored over the net through nextalarm. I only mention this as one possible reason why there are two jacks in the box.

I went back upstairs and (foolishly) said to my wife that now we would hear the OOMA dialtone everywhere in the house, and I plugged the wall jack from the OOMA (a phone is plugged into the phone jack, and works perfectly) to the wall jack in my house. I picked up anotehr phone connected to the house wiring, but not connected to the OOMA, and ... silence.

So, for some reason the OOMA dialtone is not being distributed. I'm wondering if it's because I unplugged both jacks at the wiring box, and if so, which one should be plugged back in. Any suggestions regarding what I may have done wrong? I do not believe that DSL was ever installed in the house (I am not the original owner), but I'm not positive (nor do I know if it would make a difference if it was). Thanks in advance -- the wife is still waiting...

phoneboxsmall.jpg

You have to use the phone jack to distribute the dialtone to your wall jacks. The wall jack on the Telo is just for land line integration. You'll need to use a splitter if you want to also have a phone connected to the Telo.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: Telo + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Cisco Linksys E1200
TWC>Router>Telo
kdmc69

Re: Cannot distribute OOMA dialtone using existing wiring

Postby southsound » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:50 am

kdmc69 is totally correct. The WALL jack on the Telo is only used for the (not recommended) landline integration option. The PHONE port is what sends out dialtone to whatever is connected. As kdmc69 noted, if you also want to have a telephone plugged it at the Telo site, pick up a SINGLE line splitter. Should be available at a dollar store if there is one in your town.

The reason for the silicone is to prevent a bad signal by keeping moisture out of the connection. It is also typical to have two jacks because the phone company can save money on a second trip if you decide to add a line for the teens, etc. Most homes are also wired for two lines at each of the wall jacks.

Welcome to ooma! We're glad you found the forum. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Return to Installation