Blue & White Wires Only in AT&T NID Box Outside

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Blue & White Wires Only in AT&T NID Box Outside

Postby bmccollum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:09 am

Looked inside a friend's Network Interface Device box on the outside of their house last night to see what wires were left connected after this past week. They got rid of their AT&T landline and switched their existing DSL service to a stand-alone / dry loop DSL setup.

In their NID box outside, they're left with the blue-white wires connected to a jack and no other wires are connected.

With this in mind, can anyone tell me what the exact situation should be as far as them connecting their Ooma Telo to a jack inside their home to provide whole-house service to all of the jacks throughout the house? Should it just be a matter of connecting a phone line between the Ooma Telo and a jack? Would they need a DSL filter device between the phone line connection between the Ooma Telo and the phone jack on the wall? Would they need one of those other devices that splits a line between L1 & L2? I'm just making sure I'm clear on all of this and I/we don't damage their equipment by not connecting something correctly.

Thanks...
bmccollum

Re: Blue & White Wires Only in AT&T NID Box Outside

Postby lbmofo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Many ways to go about it but here is what I would do:

At the NIB, disconnect the blue pair from the Telephone company (once disconnected, connect the wires from the same screw terminal together via splice connector if you have more than 1 wire bunch). Connect the orange pair instead (all the orange pairs from however many wire bunches you have).

In the house, convert one jack into the orange pair so you can get the DSL service and feed back ooma's dialtone to a regular jack and all your other jacks should have ooma dialtone via the blue pair.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby bmccollum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Couldn't I just leave the blue and white wires connected as they are at present in the telephone box outside, and let the Ooma Telo provide whole-house dialtone via the orange and white pair?
bmccollum

Postby lbmofo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 pm

You can but if DSL comes in via orange pair, then you just need to mess with 1 jack for the dsl modem inside the house.

Unless you got double jacks throughout the house.

lbmofo

Postby bmccollum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:05 pm

The orange and white pair aren't even connected in the NID box outside the house, so my assumption.is that their dsl comes into the house via the blue and white pair that's connected...
bmccollum

Postby lbmofo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes, so if you make the DSL come into the house via the orange pair, then you would just need to modify 1 jack to use the orange pair for the modem. Or you can use one of them L1 L2 splitters. Least work.

lbmofo

Postby bmccollum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 pm

So what would have to be done if i leave the dsl coming into house via blue and white pair? What to be done inside house to connect Ooma to phone jack and then anything special to be done at other jacks where other phones connected?
bmccollum

Postby lbmofo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

If you leave the dsl on blue pair, that means you'll need to feedback ooma dialtone via orange pair and access (plug in phone) dialtone via orange pair. Either have to change the jack to use orange pair or use one of them L1 L2 splitter at where you feedback dialtone and everywhere you plug in a phone.

lbmofo

Return to Installation