A question about the supplied A/C adapter or power supply

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

A question about the supplied A/C adapter or power supply

Postby Spartacus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm traveling to Europe for a week with my ooma and wanted to know if it would be okay to use the supplied AC adapter with a common voltage converter (like this : http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Po ... B001AHTEEU ) .

Secondly, why does ooma supply a 12 VOLT - 1 AMP adapter , when the the AMP requirement is only 200mA ?

I tested the supplied AC adapter and it actually puts out 14 VOLTS..........not 12V . :?
Spartacus

Re: A question about the supplied A/C adapter or power supply

Postby leejosepho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:56 am

Spartacus wrote:I'm traveling to Europe for a week with my ooma and wanted to know if it would be okay to use the supplied AC adapter with a common voltage converter ...

As long as the converter's output is greater than the demand of the device being supplied, all should be well.

Spartacus wrote:Secondly, why does ooma supply a 12 VOLT - 1 AMP adapter , when the the AMP requirement is only 200mA ?

Probably to be sure the device being supplied gets all it needs.

Spartacus wrote:I tested the supplied AC adapter and it actually puts out 14 VOLTS..........not 12V . :?

Volts X Amps = Watts, and the meter you used likely did not place any significant amperage on the adapter. As the load goes up, the voltage does down.
leejosepho

Postby Spartacus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 am

Thanks for the clarification Lee. You explained it wonderfully.
Spartacus

Postby Spartacus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 pm

I did some further testing.

When powered with the supplied adapter, Internet & phone connected, the drop goes down to 11.95V. However, when the receiver on the phone is picked up and a call is made, it drops to 11.48V.
Spartacus

Postby leejosepho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 am

Sure, and it would likely still work all the way down to 10 or even less. The last I knew, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) only actually sends out around 90 volts when running on its battery even though a computer "requires" 120. Think of water pressure in the shower: A typical municipal water system might normally run at 60 psi, but you can still get a nice shower when that pressure occasionally or situationally drops to 40.
leejosepho

Postby murphy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:02 am

leejosepho wrote:Sure, and it would likely still work all the way down to 10 or even less. The last I knew, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) only actually sends out around 90 volts when running on its battery even though a computer "requires" 120. Think of water pressure in the shower: A typical municipal water system might normally run at 60 psi, but you can still get a nice shower when that pressure occasionally or situationally drops to 40.

My APC UPSs put out 120 volts. They generate true sine wave power. The cheaper UPS designs that generate triangular waves have an unknown voltage because you can't measure it correctly with a meter that is expecting sine waves.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby Spartacus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks Lee & Murphy.

I'm leaving for my trip in a few days and satisfied that I have a power source that will supply the proper voltage and amperage.

I would hate to destroy a $250 electronic device due to carelessness.

Thanks for your input guys.
Spartacus

Return to Installation