Ooma hub is interfering with my home computer network

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Ooma hub is interfering with my home computer network

Postby Zindar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Hello, I have the ooma hub, and my setup is this:

In one room I have the DSL line from the wall --> modem/router --> ethernet port

All the ethernet ports in my house meet at a hub.

In another room of my house, I have ethernet wall port ---> ooma hub ----> computer, where the computer (with Windows Vista) is connected to the home port of the hub. In another room, I have an XP computer connected wirelessly as my router supports wireless.

My home network has an IP prefix of 192.168.1

But by connecting my Vista computer to the ooma hub, all of a sudden it's IP address has changed to a 172.27.35 prefix, and as a result, I can no longer establish a home network connection or transfer files between my computers.

I have a hunch that maybe I can go into www.setup.ooma.com and change some settings to let my Vista use the IP address it used to have before ooma got stuck between it and the wall. Can anybody confirm if there's a way to do this, and if so, possibly give me instructions on how to do it?
Zindar

Re: Ooma hub is interfering with my home computer network

Postby murphy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 pm

That can't be done.
Get an inexpensive switch and connect the switch to the LAN port in your wall.
Connect ooma and the computer to the switch.
Leave the Home port of ooma unused.
Your network will be back in business.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby Zindar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Okay; I had thought of that solution, but somebody thought I might be able to use setup.ooma.com to do as I described above (but they weren't sure), so I thought I'd check here to confirm. Thanks for the advice.
Zindar

Postby amoney » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Zindar wrote:Okay; I had thought of that solution, but somebody thought I might be able to use setup.ooma.com to do as I described above (but they weren't sure), so I thought I'd check here to confirm. Thanks for the advice.

You can either get a small switch to split that one ethernet jack in the wall for both the computer and the Ooma, or (and I assume this can not be done) run a new network cable to the room all together). Lastly see about moving the Ooma box in the same location of your network hub (most likely it is actually a switch).
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G
amoney

Postby Zindar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 am

I had considered moving the ooma box elsewhere, but I also have a panasonic phone system with 3 handsets plugged into the ooma. One of the handsets has to be in the same room as the ooma box (because the the phone hub plugs into the ooma hub), so I want the ooma in one of the rooms I want a phone in. Furthermore, I need it in a room that has an ethernet port, since the ooma plugs into it. So this limits my choices to two rooms. One has a computer, and the other has a TiVo which itself is also on my network, and which I also transfer files to/from.

Therefore, it sounds like I do really need a port switch device.
Zindar

Postby Zindar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Update: I bought the port switch and installed it. Everything works perfectly, including the ooma and my home network itself as well.
Zindar

Return to Installation