Installing OOMA with Verizon Fios internet

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Installing OOMA with Verizon Fios internet

Postby oomavz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 am

Hello i recently got my ooma and had acouple questions with OOMA and installation with Fios Broadband.

My Fios does not have a modem so i cant put the ooma box behind the modem. I currently have it hooked up after the router that was provided to me with Verizon.
My sound quality is good and have had no issues.
My real only concern is will i get automatic updates on my ooma box. or will i have to install any updates that ooma comes out with and if so then do i have to connect the ooma to my computer?
oomavz

Re: Installing OOMA with Verizon Fios internet

Postby murphy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 am

oomavz wrote:Hello i recently got my ooma and had acouple questions with OOMA and installation with Fios Broadband.

My Fios does not have a modem so i cant put the ooma box behind the modem. I currently have it hooked up after the router that was provided to me with Verizon.
My sound quality is good and have had no issues.
My real only concern is will i get automatic updates on my ooma box. or will i have to install any updates that ooma comes out with and if so then do i have to connect the ooma to my computer?

It will work fine. If the unit is online, it will automatically get the updates when they are pushed out.
Mine is behind my router because I have a gigabyte network and ooma doesn't support gigabyte connections.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby ghasul » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 am

I have FIOS and don't have a problem getting updates.
ghasul

Postby amoney » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 am

You will be fine. It will be automatic.

Log into your home port, setup.ooma.com and check your firmware number, it should be up to date.

;-)
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G
amoney

Postby southsound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 am

amoney wrote:You will be fine. It will be automatic.

Log into your home port, setup.ooma.com and check your firmware number, it should be up to date.

;-)

While you are there, go to Network and change the Modem Port MAC Address to 'Use Built in.' The default is 'Automatic' and can cause some problems. Also, since you normally won't have a computer connected to the Home Network port, you can make a simple change that will allow access without changing wiring. On the Advanced page, note the IP address of the Home Port - it should be 172.27.35.1 unless you have changed it. Now, create a new Port Forwarding rule that forwards port 80 to that IP. Now you will be able to reach the setup pages by entering the IP address that is assigned to your ooma by the router. You won't need to go there often, but it sure beats having to change the wiring each time you do.

Welcome to ooma and to the forums!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 6 / Numbers: 10 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
southsound

Postby oomavz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks for the useful information. The reason i thought there could have been an issue is that the light on the OOMA was purple quite ofter, but i never had an issue with sound quality.
oomavz

Return to Installation