Dry loop / porting question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Dry loop / porting question

Postby wdnick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 am

I have a question about the required dry looping of my DSL line required for number porting.

If I understand this correctly, the phone company can do this without sending a technician to the house. Is this correct and do the Telcos usually charge for this? I have AT&T for that it's worth.

One thing that I read said that while the line is dry looped that I will then not have a dial tone on my land line, but will still receive DSL though it and can make calls through VoIP. What about incoming calls?? Since there is no dial tone, will I get incoming calls on the land line before the porting is complete?

Thanks,
Doug
wdnick

Re: Dry loop / porting question

Postby hpepper » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 am

wdnick wrote:I have a question about the required dry looping of my DSL line required for number porting.

If I understand this correctly, the phone company can do this without sending a technician to the house. Is this correct and do the Telcos usually charge for this? I have AT&T for that it's worth.

One thing that I read said that while the line is dry looped that I will then not have a dial tone on my land line, but will still receive DSL though it and can make calls through VoIP. What about incoming calls?? Since there is no dial tone, will I get incoming calls on the land line before the porting is complete?

Thanks,
Doug

It is possible they won't have to send a technician, but that doesn't mean they won't.

If you have no dialtone, you won't be able to receive any calls.
hpepper

Postby OomaZooma » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 am

wdnick wrote:I have a question about the required dry looping of my DSL line required for number porting.

Thanks,
Doug

Doug,

I have AT&T/Bellsouth and I had my DSL dry looped successfully. Here are the answers to your questions based on my dry loop and porting experience.

The porting process is invisible to the customer. AT&T will send a technician out to connect a separate wire for your DSL line which is located in the NIB box located on the outside of your residence. You do not have to be home when the technician comes out. AT&T does not charge for the technician to install the wire for the DSL dry loop line. They only charge you if they have to work inside your home.

Note: It may be a good idea to unplug your phone line inside the NIB box once your AT&T line goes dead. This will prevent any voltage/line noise interference that may cause DSL and Ooma voice call quality issues.

Yes, you will lose your dial tone during the porting process but your DSL will still be working on the other line. Did you request a temporary phone number from Ooma during the registration process? This will allow you to maintain VOIP phone service while your number is being ported over from AT&T. You should have no problem receiving incoming or making outgoing calls on the temporary VOIP number.

Ooma sent me an e-mail in the morning saying my number was being ported over that day and then they send me an e-mail me when the number port was completed. The duration of the porting process varies and can take several hours before it completes and establish dial tone on Ooma. My port process was pretty quick and took 2 hours to complete. Good luck!

Welcome to Ooma!

Gary
OomaZooma

Postby roadsidephil » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 am

I'm trying to figure out the same thing here, but unfortunately, I'm not quite understanding yet. So I hope you'll excuse me going over it again.

I'm also on AT&T, so all the same should apply here.

If I switch to dry loop first, I'll lose my landline phone service, which means I won't be able to port the number.
If I port first, then I lose my DSL when the port goes through?

So I guess my question is about timing. If it takes 3-4 weeks for the port to happen, I can't be without phone service. And in my case, a temp phone number won't work either as I'm running a business and my number is plastered all over everything.

Or, is there a way to get the dsl and landline separated while still keeping my landline active until the port goes through?

Appreciate your help. :)

Phil Johnson
roadsidephil

Postby murphy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:42 am

You need to dry loop your DSL service to a different pair of wires and keep your phone service on the existing pair of wires .
When the port goes through the number will leave and the existing wire pair will no longer have a dial tone go completely dead.
The point is to separate your DSL service from your phone service prior to the port.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby viet.qnguyen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,

If I dry loop while maintaining the DSL service on the landline, do I have to do inside the house rewiring at the jack that my dsl modem is currently connected to get internet from the dry loop.

If so an alternative would be to

1. Cancel the DSL on the landline first.
2. Do the number port.
3. Once number port completes, Sign up for Dry loop DSL which would then go on the vacated pair. The upside is no rewiring inside the house? Downside can be without dsl service for a while due to the number port.

Is this line of reasoning correct?

-Viet.
viet.qnguyen

Postby tommies » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:31 pm

viet.qnguyen wrote:Hi,

If I dry loop while maintaining the DSL service on the landline, do I have to do inside the house rewiring at the jack that my dsl modem is currently connected to get internet from the dry loop.

If so an alternative would be to

1. Cancel the DSL on the landline first.
2. Do the number port.
3. Once number port completes, Sign up for Dry loop DSL which would then go on the vacated pair. The upside is no rewiring inside the house? Downside can be without dsl service for a while due to the number port.

Is this line of reasoning correct?

-Viet.

You don't have to do any thing with the inside wiring for the dry loop DSL. In a sense, dry loop DSL mean DSL only service without the bundle telephone line.

The procedure is vary from different provider. What is your DSL provider? Some one with the same provider might be able to help with your situation.
tommies
tommies

Postby viet.qnguyen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm with ATT. Does anyone know what the procedure for number porting for someone with DSL + landline?

Ooma requires for porting that I don't have DSL on the landline which means I have to remove the DSL portion. Then add the dry loop dsl which should be on another line if I want to maintain internet service while the porting is in progess.

-Viet.
viet.qnguyen

Postby ckbrou » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:38 am

I am also with AT&T and have the same question. If I switch to dsl direct (dry loop) right now It seems that I would be in danger of loosing my AT&T number before the port went through. If I don't switch and start the porting process it seems that when the port takes place my dsl will be disconnected when the number is moved from AT&T to ooma. I am wondering if this would work:
1. Keep my DSL and AT&T phone number setup as it is now
2. Start the number port
3. In a few weeks when the port goes through my internet and phone connection will stop working.
4. I then call up AT&T to have them switch me over to DSL Direct (dry loop).
5. I assume that this will cause me to be without internet and phone for a couple of days but I am not sure what else to do.

Is this my best option?

Thanks
ckbrou

Postby murphy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

Do the dry loop first. When that is done you will have two phone lines coming into your house. One will have the DSL signal and the other will have your current phone line.
The new DSL line should go directly to your DSL modem and no place else.
There is no reason that you should be without phone service except for about 8 hours on the day the port takes place.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Next

Return to Installation