Ooma Telo System & Time Warner VOIP.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Ooma Telo System & Time Warner VOIP.

Postby Wiz_Bang » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 pm

I have been working with support this morning trying to configure the Telo system with Time Warner VOIP. The Telo system is incompatible with Time Warner VOIP, and basically is a $249.00 paper weight until my number can get ported over. I think the 3-4 weeks to port is entirely too long especially if you have only 30 days to test out the system and return it to Best Buy. I will be patient and see how things pan out with the Telo Handset and system for at least 29 days. ;)

Main questions are:

1) If my number is ported over within the 30 days to Ooma and I decide I don't care for the service, can it be ported back?

2) How long would it take to port back?

3) Is there a charge to port it back to my original service provider?
Wiz_Bang

Re: Ooma Telo System & Time Warner VOIP.

Postby daet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Wiz_Bang wrote:I have been working with support this morning trying to configure the Telo system with Time Warner VOIP. The Telo system is incompatible with Time Warner VOIP

Hi - welcome to the Ooma forum. Can you elaborate on what is incompatible? There are other users of these forums who use their Ooma Hub or Telo with the Time Warner cable internet service, and perhaps they can help you.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription
daet

Postby Wiz_Bang » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Sure, can. When I connect the Telo system using the recommended configure for setup 2a in the quick start instructions I run into issues with Echo double dialing etc. Here is how I presently tried connecting the system.

1) Telo connected/plugged into (To Internet) using black supplied cable, and other end connected to Ethernet port on back of Time Warner VOIP modem.

2) Home Network port connected to Internet Port on Linksys Router.

3) Phone Port on Telo (black supplied phone cable) connected to Wall jack two port jack.

4) Wall jack port connected to back of Time Warner VOIP modem.

Issues are:

No incoming calls supported on Primary line until port takes place unless I have it plugged into the Time Warner VOIP modem.

If I have the services connected at the same time I get really bad Echo and double dialing, or fast busy signals.

Support tried assigning a temporary number and forwarding but this did NOT work either. If you have Premier service and you have two phone numbers listed as in my case the primary number no longer works and you cannot forward. I had to disconnect the Ooma phone line to allow my primary number work with incoming and outgoing calls.

I tried connecting the Time Warner VOIP modem to the Internet port on my router and connecting the Telo from the (To Internet) to a port on the router. This would allow the phone end to work but not the internet. I tried a factory reset as suggested by support to no avail. I tried connecting to the (Home Internet) to no avail. So at this point to use my primary phone number and line I have to disconnect the Ooma phone line. :(
Wiz_Bang

Postby mac_kid » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 pm

1) Telo connected/plugged into (To Internet) using black supplied cable, and other end connected to Ethernet port on back of Time Warner VOIP modem.

2) Home Network port connected to Internet Port on Linksys Router.

3) Phone Port on Telo (black supplied phone cable) connected to Wall jack two port jack.

4) Wall jack port connected to back of Time Warner VOIP modem.

Can you check this?

1.) TO INTERNET port of Telo should be connected to the Ethernet Port of your Time Warner VOIP Modem using an ethernet cable.

2.) HOME NETWORK port of Telo connected to Internet Port on Linksys Router using an ethernet cable.

3.) PHONE PORT on Telo should be connected to your telephone/handset.

4.) WALL PORT of the telo should be connected to the Phone port of your VOIP modem
mac_kid

Postby Wiz_Bang » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:00 pm

mac_kid wrote:Can you check this?

1.) TO INTERNET port of Telo should be connected to the Ethernet Port of your Time Warner VOIP Modem using an ethernet cable.

2.) HOME NETWORK port of Telo connected to Internet Port on Linksys Router using an ethernet cable.

3.) PHONE PORT on Telo should be connected to your telephone/handset.

4.) WALL PORT of the telo should be connected to the Phone port of your VOIP modem

1 and 2 are connected as indicated.

3) I have directly connected the Telo via phone port to my cordless phones base unit. Works fine for outgoing calls and incoming with my temporary Ooma number. Does not work for incoming calls to my Primary number.

4) If I connect the telephone cord from the wall port on the Telo to the back of the VOIP modem telephone port I cannot receive incoming calls on my primary line. This is my problem, the only way to receive incoming calls without my number ported is to have both services on or connected, hence the problems with echo, double dialing, ect.
Wiz_Bang

Postby 2624360085 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:48 pm

I agree, we have Time Warner and I am not happy that it will take 3-4 weeks to port over our old phone number. That means we have to continue to pay for Time Warner VIOP equipment and service fee's for another month until the number gets ported. :(

Re:about numbers!

Postby allo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Last edited by allo on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
allo

Postby Wiz_Bang » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Number porting is a simple service for most other providers, and usually takes no more than 2-3 days max, NOT 3-4 weeks. Simply changing my primary number is way more involved for me. It is also my business number. It is the main reason why I asked in my original post if it could be ported back without fee in case I am unsatisfied with the Ooma service. There are many VOIP providers to choose from. In my opinion Ooma needs to shorten the length of time to port over numbers or they will lose new potential customers.
Wiz_Bang

Postby daet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:25 am

Wiz_Bang wrote:Number porting is a simple service for most other providers, and usually takes no more than 2-3 days max, NOT 3-4 weeks. Simply changing my primary number is way more involved for me.

I agree on both counts. The only thing I can add is that although I expected my port from Vonage to take 3-4 weeks, it actually happened in less than one week.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription
daet

Postby murphy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 am

daet wrote:The only thing I can add is that although I expected my port from Vonage to take 3-4 weeks, it actually happened in less than one week.

They must be getting better. My port from Vonage last January took 3.5 weeks. That's probably because the number was originally ported to Vonage from Verizon. Vonage had to reverse the port from Verizon so the number went back to Verizon and then Ooma was able to pick it up from Verizon.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Next

Return to Installation