Please Help with new installation.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Please Help with new installation.

Postby paul& simone » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:02 pm

I have tried for two weeks now and no help with ooma either. We live in the country and we bought an older home. When we use our reg phone service and the phone rings it is set up to ring a phone bell outside the house to let us know the phone is ringing in the house when we are in the yard, great!

When we hook up our ooma, the bell rings outside but the phone does not ring? When I pick up the phone connected to ooma, I get a dial tone, but no phone call? when the rep from ooma calls us the phone rings? We can make outgoing calls great, but can not recieve incoming calls what is up? We are really lost and frustrated, would be grateful for any help, thank you.
paul& simone

Re: Please Help with new installation.

Postby ajw522 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm

paul& simone wrote:I have tried for two weeks now and no help with ooma either. We live in the country and we bought an older home. When we use our reg phone service and the phone rings it is set up to ring a phone bell outside the house to let us know the phone is ringing in the house when we are in the yard, great!

When we hook up our ooma, the bell rings outside but the phone does not ring? When I pick up the phone connected to ooma, I get a dial tone, but no phone call? when the rep from ooma calls us the phone rings? We can make outgoing calls great, but can not recieve incoming calls what is up? We are really lost and frustrated, would be grateful for any help, thank you.

Hi there,

If I read your post correctly, I think I understand the problem. It seems that you've got your phone bell outside still connected to your landline, while your actual telephone is connected to the Ooma Telo system. That's why, when people call your LANDLINE telephone number, your outside bell rings, but your inside phone does not and receives a fresh dial tone, since it is on a completely separate system. When you set up your Ooma Telo online, you would have picked a new (or temporary) telephone number to use with your Ooma system...that number is different from your landline. Therefore, people calling your landline number right now will not go through to your Ooma. Only calls made to your Ooma telephone number will come through to your Ooma phone.

What you need to do is initiate the porting process for your landline telephone number, which will transfer your old telephone number to be used with the Ooma Telo. That costs $39.99, or it is free is you sign up for a year's subscription for Ooma Premier, which is $120/yr. You can do all of that through the My Ooma portal. It will take about three weeks, but once that is done, you can disconnect completely from your landline, and have your Ooma Telo distribute it's service to the entire house (including the phone bell outside). You'll be able to do this by plugging the phone jack from the Ooma not into the telephone directly, but into the wall outlet, so that all of the other wall outlets in your home receive the Ooma signal. If you need to plug in your phone in the same place as your Ooma, you can use a line splitter to split the connection from the Ooma Telo, or you can simply plug your telephone in another wall outlet around the house. Then, your telephone and your phone bell will both ring along with the Ooma.

Hopefully I've made sense. Feel free to ask me further questions, or to tell me that I'm way off base and completely misunderstood your question! :D
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/2 handsets & Bluetooth;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 5 w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: Cox Communications Preferred
Setup: Motorola SB5101->Linksys Cisco E1500->Ooma Telo
ajw522

Postby thunderbird » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:55 pm

paul& simone wrote:I have tried for two weeks now and no help with ooma either. We live in the country and we bought an older home. When we use our reg phone service and the phone rings it is set up to ring a phone bell outside the house to let us know the phone is ringing in the house when we are in the yard, great!

The regular (old) phone service and the Ooma phone service, can not have their phone signals combine using the same phone(s) and wiring for both, unless you have phones with two sets of lines. Damage may occur to the Ooma Telo.

If you have discontinued use of the old phone service, it must be disconnected where it comes into the outside of house. If you are still using the Old phone system, then you have to have separate phones for each phone system, a seperate bell outside for the Ooma Telo and etc.

For testing, connect only a phone to the Ooma Telo Phone port, with no other phones connected, and the Ooma device not connected to the house wiring. Make calls and call your Ooma number with your cell phone. Then you know if the Ooma system is working properly.
thunderbird

Postby paul& simone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 am

Thank you so very much for your time in this regard. I am amazed that no one at ooma was able to figure this out. As soon as I read your reply, it made perfect sense. Everyone was calling our old number when they phoned the house, because we forgot to use the new number. Will try it today, thank you so very, very , very much.

Do you know if there is a way to again hook up the bell so it rings outside the house, once we have our ooma up and running. Ooma should be paying you for your time, you did more in one note than they could do in two weeks!
paul& simone

Postby lbmofo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

paul& simone, normally, disconnecting your house wiring from the telephone company just requires you to pull the modular plugs from the NID (unless you have DSL).

Example NID:

If you have a very different looking NID, look for info on how to disconnect house wiring from telephone company here: /viewtopic.php?t=13354

If you have a NID like above, when you pull the modular plug(s), your house walljacks should be completely dead. Since you currently have landline phone service, might be a good way for you to test. Plug a phone into a walljack, check for dialtone and test for calls. Go out to your NID, pull the modular plug(s), come back into to the house and verify the phone is dead and no dialtone. Once verified, your house wiring is completely disconnected from the telephone company. Now, it is safe to distribute your Ooma dialtone to your house wiring. Just connect the Ooma "phone" port to any walljack and you should have Ooma dialtone on other house walljacks. Your outside ringer should work when someone calls your Ooma number.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Return to Installation