Two Line Phone Setup

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Two Line Phone Setup

Postby wussery » Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 am

I have a two line phone and the first line is dedicated to the Ooma by being directly connected to the Ooma Telo. I have a dial tone and everything seems to be working okay. I have a second line with a different phone number that is connected from my wall to the second port of the phone. I cannot get a dial tone on the second line. Am I SOL with the second line setup that I am trying to use while the Ooma is occupying the first port on my phone?

This second line is used for my fax line and it works when I plug the phone cord directly from the wall to my fax machine. I want to use my second line on my phone to put the first line On Hold and call out on the second line.
wussery

Re: Two Line Phone Setup

Postby hpepper » Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am

wussery wrote:I have a two line phone and the first line is dedicated to the Ooma by being directly connected to the Ooma Telo. I have a dial tone and everything seems to be working okay. I have a second line with a different phone number that is connected from my wall to the second port of the phone. I cannot get a dial tone on the second line. Am I SOL with the second line setup that I am trying to use while the Ooma is occupying the first port on my phone?

This second line is used for my fax line and it works when I plug the phone cord directly from the wall to my fax machine. I want to use my second line on my phone to put the first line On Hold and call out on the second line.

Hmmm... It should work that way. I had Ooma setup this way on a two-line phone and I was able to hook up my old landline service to my second line. I could even conference the two lines with my phone.

Try plugging in both to the two line phone again - then unplug the Ooma line from line 1 of the phone. Does the 2nd line work then? Then if it does, plug the Ooma line back in. Does it stop working again? Finally, reverse the two. Does Ooma work on the second line by itself?

Also, you are not plugging the landline into the Telo, correct?
hpepper

Postby murphy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:53 am

If you are using separate phone cords to the two line phone they should be 2 wire cords.
Look at the plug, there should be two connections, not four.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby wussery » Wed May 30, 2012 11:06 am

hpepper wrote:
wussery wrote:I have a two line phone and the first line is dedicated to the Ooma by being directly connected to the Ooma Telo. I have a dial tone and everything seems to be working okay. I have a second line with a different phone number that is connected from my wall to the second port of the phone. I cannot get a dial tone on the second line. Am I SOL with the second line setup that I am trying to use while the Ooma is occupying the first port on my phone?

Hmmm... It should work that way. I had Ooma setup this way on a two-line phone and I was able to hook up my old landline service to my second line. I could even conference the two lines with my phone.

Try plugging in both to the two line phone again - then unplug the Ooma line from line 1 of the phone. Does the 2nd line work then? Then if it does, plug the Ooma line back in. Does it stop working again? Finally, reverse the two. Does Ooma work on the second line by itself?

I have my second line directly connected from my wall to the second port of my phone. No connection to the Ooma at all. I will try some of the things you pointed out above and report back.
wussery

Postby wussery » Wed May 30, 2012 2:13 pm

hpepper wrote:

After fiddling around with the adapter to use to have a line from my wall jack go directly to port 2 of my phone, I was able to get things working as before. Line two is wired from the wall and line one is directly connected to the Ooma. On port two I have an 3-way adapter with a line from the wall going into the central port and another line going to my fax machine. I have tried a conference call with this setup and it works as before I installed the Ooma Telo.

I place a call on line one (Ooma), put this call on hold, then place another call on line two (POTS line) and then hit the conference button and everything works. Time to cancel line one from ATT.
wussery

Postby GMOOMA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:09 am

Many two line phones utilize one phone cord & will source each line from a 4-wire plug with two wires for each line, unless they specifically have two single line imput jacks (more expensive versions of two line phones have this option). Ooma will eventually support multi-line hardware when they redesign the ooma for multiple analog out jacks. Down the line, I'd upgrade my telo if they make one for a reasonable price, or a bluetooth to analog adapter ($20).
GMOOMA

Return to Installation