Alarm System

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Alarm System

Postby Spedthecat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi all,

Recently purchased an Ooma and have activated the system. It is working with my whole home wiring - all jacks are receiving VOIP dail tone.

My alarm system is giving me problems. When I arm the alarm system, the alarm will seize the line, but then all jacks will go dead and the Ooma will not recover (line 1 indicator stays orange). I need to physcially unplug the phone line from the Ooma box and plug it back it - line 1 then returns to blue.

Viewing my Ooma call logs, I can see that the Alarm system has dialed out, the call usually lasts about 10-15 seconds. Unfortunately, the call also disables the Ooma.

My guess is the handshake between the alarm and the monitoring station is not going through?

I have reviewed these forums inside and out. As I have the most recent version of the Ooma, there is no option to 'active fax mode'. My alarm company is being difficult to deal with, they are not being helpful with regards to any programming of the alarm system (*99, etc). The alarm does not have an LCD display on it, and the manual has no indications of being able to input programming such as this. Any thoughts? (The alarm is a Paradox / Spectra system)

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
thanks,
S.
Spedthecat

Re: Alarm System

Postby murphy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Is the Phone jack of the Telo connected directly to the alarm system input and NO place else?
Is the output of the alarm system used to feed the rest of the house?
Has the landline wiring been disconnected at the NIB (Network Interface Box)?

Sorry, I've never heard of that alarm system.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby lbmofo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Given that you are feeding your Ooma dialtone to a spot upstream from the alarm (line seizure happens, alarm panel still has Ooma's dialtone/line), see if you can find some info about your alarm here:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/elect ... sting.html

This site has lots of info.

Once you get to changing prefixes, try using *98 as well (if you have a Telo).

During times when alarm is calling out (test), phones connected to your walljacks shouldn't have dialtone. This condition may last a while (example, more than 15 minutes; alarm keeps the line seized while re-attempting successful handshake with alarm central). Your Ooma line 1 indicator may go off for a while but when Alarm trys to call again, it would light up again (while all your other phones connected to walljacks don't have dialtone). Depending on alarm panel and how programmed, the reattempts could be as many as 15 times or more before the alarm panel gives up and releases line seizure.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby Spedthecat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Murphy and lbmofo for your responses, it's greatly appreciated.

To answer your questions Murphy:
Is the Phone jack of the Telo connected directly to the alarm system input and NO place else?
The alarm is the first to receive the phone connection to the Telo

Is the output of the alarm system used to feed the rest of the house? YES

Has the landline wiring been disconnected at the NIB (Network Interface Box)? YES

So, after trying this a number of times: The alarm is definately seizing the land line. From the call logs, the Alarm is calling the monitoring station, after 11-18 seconds or tryng & redailing (many times), nothing happens. The alarm released the line after about 20 minutes.

So, appears, like we thought, that the handshake is not successful. My two thoughts on soluations:
1) Changing the protocol from DTMF Contact ID to 20 BPS 1400HZ
or
2) Purchasing the Next Alarm Broadband adapter for $100.

As the Alarm is making the call, I'm ruling out the *99, *98, etc, re-programming of the panel. (thoughts)

Any other thoughts/opinions/etc?

It appears that I have to make recommendations to my alarm company, as they don't seem to have two-clues on what's going on.

Thanks again for assistance!
S.
Spedthecat

Postby murphy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:52 pm

*99 switches the Telo to use a codec that is optimized for FAX transmission and is more likely to work with the alarm system than the default compressed codec.
*98 picks a different codec (G711 I think) that is also more likely to work with a data transmission.
Neither one has anything to do with getting a call answered.

That said my alarm system is on a Verizon budget line (no regional calling and no long distance calling except for 800 numbers).
The line comes in underground so there is no chance of it being cut.
I don't consider the internet to be reliable enough for alarm reporting plus the coax could be easily cut outside of the house.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby mochashome » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm

I had a similar problem with my alarm. Next alarm would not work with the OOMA without buying a separate VOIP box for my alarm. After extensive troubleshooting and various attempts to get this to work, I finally just returned the OOMA (bummer)
mochashome

Postby Spedthecat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Update:

After consulting my alarm company regarding this, we tried a number of different programmings for the alarm. In the end, we were able to get the Alarm to work properly with the Ooma Telo (finally!).

For those in similar situation the setting that worked:

Setting is called 'Silent Night' (??): 1400Hz and 20Bps. I believe it's an older style. This programming variation is slower than before, as the alarm call now takes a little over a minute to complete the handshake (opposed to 20 seconds with the previous programming). Regardless, I can now disconnect my landline!

Thanks to everyone that has provided comments/suggestions.
Spedthecat

Postby captnemo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Spedthecat,

Could you kindly elaborate on "Silent Night" settings? How do you apply the settings? Is it on the OOMA device or on the alarm system?

Thanks.
captnemo

Postby Spedthecat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 pm

captnemo wrote:Hi Spedthecat,

Could you kindly elaborate on "Silent Night" settings? How do you apply the settings? Is it on the OOMA device or on the alarm system?

Thanks.

Silent Night is a programming mode for the alarm system. My alarm system had 5 possible programming solutions, we tried them all and the 'Silent Night' mode was one of the only ones that actually worked with the Ooma and my Alarm system. As mentioned, the mode is 1400Hz and 20Bps.

Hope this helps!
Spedthecat

Return to Installation