Connecting Ooma to house wiring

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Connecting Ooma to house wiring

Postby pilots48 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 am

:cry: Ok, I have DSL for my phone and internet. I currently have the wire from from the phone jack going into my router/modem. I then have my computer plugged into the router/modem. My phones are plugged into a filter and then into the wall.
How do I connect my Ooma? I have tried all possible to no avail. I am not wireless.
1. Do I plug the phone cord into the router/modem telephone jack, out of Ooma internet port into the router/modem Ethernet jack and computer into the router/modem Ethernet? Doesn't work.
2. Do I plug the phone cord into the router/modem telephone jack, with the computer Ethernet plugged into Ooma home network Ethernet and Ooma internet Ethernet plugged into the router/modem Ethernet? Doesn't work.
3. Do I plug the phone cord into Ooma telephone wall jack, out of the Ooma phone jack into the router/modem phone jack and computer to router/modem via Ethernet cable? Doesn't work.
I see "No VPN" on my handset. I am able to make outgoing but if a call my handset it goes immediately to voice mail. I have voice mail set to 9 rings.
In the Ooma instructions it only refers to wireless. well not everyone has wireless.
Thanks for any help you can give. I really want to tell my phone company good by.
pilots48

Re: Connecting Ooma to house wiring

Postby lbmofo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 am

Here is what I think you have before Ooma got in the picture: DSL modem/router, computer connected to your DSL modem/router.

To keep it simple, here is how you would do your setup:
(If you have activated your Ooma using your own number from landline company, call Ooma customer service to change your configuration to standalone. They will give you a new Ooma number and you won't have to feed your landline dialtone to your Ooma's "wall" port)

Leave the phone cord connecting your modem to your walljack alone.
Turn off DSL modem/router.
Turn off computer.
Diconnect the ethernet cable connecting your computer to the DSL modem at the modem.
Connect the plug you just disconnect and connect to Ooma's "to home network."
Connect an ethernet cable from Ooma's "to internet" to your DSL modem.

Turn on DSL modem, wait til it comes online.
Turn on Ooma, wait til it turns blue.
Turn on computer.

Connect your phone to the "phone" port of your Ooma.

If you can forward your landline # to your Ooma# great. If not, then keep another phone connected to your walljack via a DSL filter so you can still answer your landline calls.

Your'e done.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby cdinh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 pm

OK, So I convinced my brother-in-law to buy Ooma system ( I have been using Hub and Scout for the past 2yrs with no problem), he got a Telo. He lives in an aparment complex and wants to have whole "apartment" wiring connect. I read about the NIB thing but since he's in an apartment, the NIB may not be easily accesible. I may have to help him with it. Is there a way short of cutting the phone line to the NIB to physically disconnect from the Telco? He's no longer have landline but I don't want to cut the line unless it's the last resort, and I don't even know if it would work.
cdinh

Postby lbmofo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

cdinh wrote:OK, So I convinced my brother-in-law to buy Ooma system ( I have been using Hub and Scout for the past 2yrs with no problem), he got a Telo. He lives in an aparment complex and wants to have whole "apartment" wiring connect. I read about the NIB thing but since he's in an apartment, the NIB may not be easily accesible. I may have to help him with it. Is there a way short of cutting the phone line to the NIB to physically disconnect from the Telco? He's no longer have landline but I don't want to cut the line unless it's the last resort, and I don't even know if it would work.

I'd get a DECT 6.0 phone with multiple handsets and be happy with it :)

http://michigantelephone.workbench.net/

What to do in an apartment or condo

Your ability to retrofit the wiring in a multi-unit dwelling depends on how much you know about telephone wiring, how much access you have to your telephone wiring, and in particular, whether you can break the connection to the telephone company's network in such a way that it cannot be reconnected without your knowledge and approval.

Obviously, if you own the unit you live in, you're in a much better position to control the wiring that is physically within your living unit, whereas in a rented apartment you're basically gambling that no one will reconnect the wiring without getting your consent first. In any case, isolating the wiring in these kinds of units basically consists of finding out where the wires from the outside world come into the apartment, and breaking the connection there (in such a way that you can easily reconnect it when you move out).

In this, you're pretty much on your own. Our advice is to get a cordless phone (one that supports multiple handsets if you need "extensions" — businesses use these, so you can find them at any major office supply chain store) and plug it directly into the adapter, so you don't have to mess with apartment wiring. But, if you DO try to isolate the wiring in your apartment anyway, the earlier advice about plugging in a regular phone to check the line for noise or dial tone BEFORE connecting your equipment applies even moreso here. And remember, you ARE gambling that no one will reconnect the line without your knowledge or consent.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

lbmofo

Postby EA PA » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

cdinh wrote:OK, So I convinced my brother-in-law to buy Ooma system ( I have been using Hub and Scout for the past 2yrs with no problem), he got a Telo. He lives in an aparment complex and wants to have whole "apartment" wiring connect. I read about the NIB thing but since he's in an apartment, the NIB may not be easily accesible. I may have to help him with it. Is there a way short of cutting the phone line to the NIB to physically disconnect from the Telco? He's no longer have landline but I don't want to cut the line unless it's the last resort, and I don't even know if it would work.

It’s unfortunate that the landline is out already. If you had a dial tone, you could remove 1 cable in the box at a time until the dial tone went away. Without a dial tone, there may be a slightly different colored wire coming into the apt vs. the daisy chain from box to box. If you find one with different appearance, this one might be the one to disconnect. However, that said, you are still not sure. To be safe, you need to get an ohmmeter and ring out the pairs a draw a wiring diagram to fully understand how the apt is wired. Once you have verified all the From / To cables, you can then isolate the street cable. If you need more help to do this we can help. If you plug OOMA in without isolating the cable from the street, you risk an inadvertent connect and possible damage to OOMA.
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier
EA PA

Postby pilots48 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 am

I did what you recommended and still no go. So I then did an auto config on my router/modem and voila! Life is good. I will make sure it works for a week then have my number ported and tell my phone company to take a hike. Thanks ibmofo. I have a Telo and land line and both of them are working.
pilots48

Postby thunderbird » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:18 am

bump
thunderbird

Postby highq » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 am

thunderbird wrote:bump

I don't get the point of posting just the word "bump" in reply to a message dated the prior day.
highq

Return to Installation