Panasonic DECT 6.0 problems with Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

Panasonic DECT 6.0 problems with Ooma

Postby 4123631909 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:40 am

Hi everyone - relatively new Ooma customer here - I think I'm just confused.... I bought the Ooma and hooked it up to my Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones (base tied into Ooma and other 3 phones throughout the house). It worked wonderfully for 2+ months until one day when it simply stopped working. Oddly, the phones ring, but when you answer it's dead. If you pick it up to make a call, there's no dial tone.

I switched out the Panasonic's base with an older phone and that phone works great. Lest you think the Panasonic died, I took it to my neighbors house and it works beautifully. So, I tried to switch it back and it still won't work.

I've spent hours on the phone with Ooma's tech support and the last rep told me that "well, this happens sometimes with the Panasonic DECT phones.... they just stop working with Ooma". I'm baffled as to why that would be.

Any thoughts? I hate having a really nice set of phones that now appear to be unusable in my home. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Panasonic DECT 6.0 problems with Ooma

Postby danlisman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:50 am

Wild guess:
Did phone get changed from tone to pulse dialing??
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com
danlisman

Postby hpepper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am

I have six Panasonic Dect 6.0 phones for over a year with my Telo - never a problem.

Make sure you are plugging the Panasonic base into the Phone port on the Telo.

Maybe try a factory reset on the Panasonic phones?
hpepper

Postby thunderbird » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Try unpowering and than powering the Panasonic DECT 6.0 Phone base station. This solution has helped others in the past.
thunderbird

Postby 4123631909 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm not too technical, but wouldn't the powering/ unpowering have occurred when I completely disconnected it and walked it to my neighbor's house?

The factory reset may be an option if I can figure out how to do it... keep in mind that these worked perfectly until one day they just didn't, so I don't believe that its a connection problem. And again, they work elsewhere... just not in my home with Ooma.

Postby EA PA » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 pm

I have had a strange situation with one of my Uniden Dect 6 phones. I bought a set of 4, one with base. After a few months, one of the phones (not the one with the base) just stopped working after about 30 seconds into a call. Batteries looked fully charged from the display. I have made 6 or 7 more calls from this one phone. It dials, connects and with great repeatability, just terminates the call by itself, silence, dead on both sides. The others all work fine. Very strange. I have been very busy but when I get a chance I will fiddle to try and discover what is happening.
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier
EA PA

Postby thunderbird » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:11 pm

4123631909 wrote:Hi everyone - relatively new Ooma customer here - I think I'm just confused.... I bought the Ooma and hooked it up to my Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones (base tied into Ooma and other 3 phones throughout the house). It worked wonderfully for 2+ months until one day when it simply stopped working. Oddly, the phones ring, but when you answer it's dead. If you pick it up to make a call, there's no dial tone.

I switched out the Panasonic's base with an older phone and that phone works great. Lest you think the Panasonic died, I took it to my neighbors house and it works beautifully. So, I tried to switch it back and it still won't work.

I've spent hours on the phone with Ooma's tech support and the last rep told me that "well, this happens sometimes with the Panasonic DECT phones.... they just stop working with Ooma". I'm baffled as to why that would be.

Any thoughts? I hate having a really nice set of phones that now appear to be unusable in my home. Any help would be much appreciated.

Some things that cause cordless phones to not work with Ooma:

Try placing the cordless phone base location more than three to four feet away from the Ooma Telo.

If you have an Ooma Telo with a Bluetooth adapter connected, temporarily remove the Bluetooth adapter and test.

If you use Wi-Fi, temporarily turn it off and test. Some people have had to change Wi-Fi frequency setting in their Router's Wi-Fi frequency pull down menu from the Automatic setting, to one of the listed frequencies to prevent conflict.

Panasonic says that if you have DSL Internet service, that you may have to install a DSL phone filter in the line coming from the phone port.

If none of the above suggestions work, post the model number of your Panasonic phone.
thunderbird

Postby Uncle-Enrico » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:23 am

I've also got a Panasonic DECT 6.0 system and it works well with Ooma. If my Time Warner cable/Internet connection goes out, the DECT 6.0 seamlessly gives me access to my cell phone as backup.

If your Ooma came with that Bluetooth clip, I'm wondering if that may be causing trouble with any cell Bluetooth connection you're using.

Have you contacted Panasonic to see if they know what's happening?

Let us know if you correct this problem.

The Ooma/DECT 6.0 is too good a combo to lose to unexplained tech problems.
Uncle-Enrico

Postby 4123631909 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for the extra suggestions. We have Comcast high speed internet, and no wi-fi. We also don't use Bluetooth. That said, in the coming days we'll try (1) moving the phone base several feet from the Ooma and/ or (2) trying the base alone and then with each of the other handsets to see if a particular handset may be an issue.

After that, I'm on to Panasonic.

My model # btw is kx-tga101s.

Again, I love the phone system and when it was working with Ooma it was great. I'm just trying to figure out what might have happened to cause them to stop working together.

Postby highq » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Unless you think displaying your phone number as your Forum userID will never attract spam, call Ooma's Customer Service and change it. ;)
highq

Next

Return to Installation