Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter FAQ
Table of Contents
- What is the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter? How does it work?
- Where do I buy the wireless adapter?
- How do I set up my Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter?
- Do I need a computer to set up my wireless adapter? Yes
- How far away from my router can I place my Ooma Telo?
- What kind of call quality can I expect with the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter?
- Which wireless standards does the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter support?
- Which wireless band does the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter run on?
- Do you have a list of supported routers?
- What if my home Internet connection is password protected?
- What security and encryption protocols does the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter support?
- What do I do if my Ooma Telo doesn’t receive a signal after I’ve set it up?
- Can I set up the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter with my 3G or 4G hotspot?
- Can I set up my Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter to remember more than one Wi-Fi network?
- Can I use my Ooma Telo as a wireless bridge?
- Can I use the Ooma Telo WIreless Adapter and the Ooma Bluetooth Adapter at the same time?
The Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter allows your Ooma Telo to connect to the Internet using your Wi-Fi network instead of a cable. The wireless adapter is perfect if you want to set up your Telo in a part of your home that doesn’t have a wired Internet connection. The adapter may be right for you if:
- Your modem or router is in an inconvenient location (basement, wiring closet, etc)
- You only have access to Wi-Fi (dorm rooms, apartments, home offices, etc)
- You travel and want to call for FREE wherever you have Wi-Fi
- You want to use Ooma with 3G and 4G mobile hotspot connections
To learn more about the wireless adapter or to purchase yours now, visit the Add-Ons (make link) section of My Ooma.
To get started setting up your Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter, follow these instructions:
- Plug the Adapter into the USB port on the back of your Telo
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the HOME NETWORK port on the back of your Telo to a computer
- Use the computer and open up a browser to setup.ooma.com
- Click on the Wireless tab on the left side of your screen and follow the directions to connect the Telo to your wireless network
Once your Telo has connected to your home Wi-Fi network, you’ve gone wireless! If you need additional assistance, you can find help in the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
Yes. During the initial setup process, you will need your plug your computer into the Ethernet port of the Ooma Telo. After you have set up your Ooma Telo to run on your home Wi-Fi network, you will no longer need a computer for it to function.
You can place your Ooma Telo anywhere in your home that has good Wi-Fi reception. Please note that the construction of your home -- such as brick or cement walls between your router and your Ooma Telo -- can affect the quality of your Wi-Fi signal.
Thanks to the compression and adaptive redundancy algorithms that make Ooma PureVoice(tm) HD Technology unique, most customers should notice little or no reduction in call quality when they set up their system with the wireless adapter.
The Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter supports networks that run on 802.11b/g/n standards.
The Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter runs on the 2.4Ghz wireless band.
Any router that supports the 802.11b/g/n standard should be compatible with the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter.
If you have enabled password protection on your home Wi-Fi connection, you can still use the Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter. You will be asked to provide the appropriate network name and password during the setup process.
WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security protocols are supported.
If your Telo does not work properly when you’re done setting it up, you should try the following steps, in order:
- Reboot your Telo
- Ensure that your Wireless Adapter is plugged in all the way
- Remove your Wireless Adapter, reboot your Telo, and then re-insert the Wireless Adapter
- Move the Telo closer to your router or wireless access point to make sure it is not out of range
- Verify that your Telo works with a hardwired Ethernet connection to your router and follow the troubleshooting instructions in your Ooma Telo Quick Start Guide if it does not
If none of these steps work, there is additional troubleshooting information in the Wireless Adapter Quick Start Guide that you may use to resolve the problem.
YES. Ooma PureVoice HD(TM) technology is designed to improve voice quality over any type Internet connection, including 3G and 4G hotspots that operate over a cellular network.
Yes! After you set up the Wi-Fi adapter on a new network, your Ooma Telo will remember your settings. Your Telo will automatically connect to any saved wireless networks.
Yes! Once your Ooma Telo is connected to your home Wi-Fi network, you plug any device into the HOME NETWORK port and it will have access to the Internet connection through the wireless adapter.
Yes! You can use the Ooma Telo Wirelessa Adapter and the Ooma Bluetooth Adapter at the same time by using a USB hub with your Telo.